Monday, September 3, 2018

Peanut butter and mayo

A pretty quiet day.  I slept in, took my shower, and drank some diet punch.  I took a nap, woke up with a really bad headache. 

Next up on my list is cutting out aspartame.  I am pretty much off caffeine, Doc will be very pleased (he is one of the few people I know who recognizes that caffeine isn't good for you).  Next up, aspartame. 

Should be pretty easy, stop buying it.  I still have some diet caffeine free soda Ron bought me for work, so once I finish that off I will stop. 

Weight is about the same, but I haven't stated my cycle yet.  One low carb expert says it is about impossible to lose the 2 weeks before your cycle.  I'll see if things accelerate when I start.  Size is about the same, too, but I'm doing this mainly for headaches and not for weight loss. 

I took a nap with Biscuit.  He likes to stretch out in the bed with us (he visits Ron, too).  Ron was in a pretty good mood most of the day. 

I slept OK, dreamed some, and woke up with a crushing headache.  It took a while for the Excedrin to master it.   Once it was pretty much OK Ron woke up. 

I noticed him putting on his sandals and I asked about it.  He said, they won't serve me at the restaurant if I don't have shoes.  I realized he planned to take me out to dinner.  Nice. 

The beef stew was a pretty major failure.  It didn't have enough salt and it was just overall bad.  I couldn't stand the idea of choking down another bowl, or, worse, making Ron.  So I got rid of it along with some other garbage. 

Since he hadn't made a reservation yesterday, he had to pay for a cab to take me both ways.  That cost as much as the meal, and I got steak! 

Happily, the steak did not make me sick.  I ate some black beans (OK but they put pico in it) and some mashed potatoes (about 25 carbs worth).   I don't particularly like mashed potatoes.  I ate them several times a week, growing up.  The recipe was not varied, ever. 

It wasn't as bad as my Dad's cooking, though.  When he was a single parent he fed me a lot of flank steak, cooked in a skillet over high heat.  It was very tough and chewy, and I barely had any teeth!  He fed that to me a lot because it was the cheapest meat at the market. 

He was also a huge fan of the peanut butter and mayo sandwich.  On white bread.  It was a horrifying concoction.  Smooth peanut butter married to mayo.  It was greasy.  It always made me gag.  It had off notes from the vinegar in the mayo.  I gagged down hundreds of those things as a child. 

[shudder]  Then I met Ron.  I gave him some of my stepmother's chicken and he was not impressed.  He taught me about seasoning food, something that had been lacking (although one stepbrother always seasoned his food with a big jar of season-all).  I have become a better cook, but I still need some work. 

Part of it's my energy level, not much energy left for cooking after work, cat care, Ron care, and taking care of me.  Part of it's lack of access to stores, Ron doesn't want to wait at a grocery store, just a Walmart, and cabs hate picking people up at a grocery store. 

At any rate, dinner was good and I didn't get sick.  Yay, me. 

The last couple times I ate steak, I got really sick.  It wasn't food poisoning, just a reaction to the steak and my lithium. 

We got a quick ride home and he was also a nice driver.  We came home.  Ron had gotten food on his clothes (my fault, I forgot to put his bib on), so I had him take them off so I could pretreat and wash them.  He did. 

He got a call from a friend and is pretty happy, he went to bed.  I heard him bragging on me to his friend.  His friend's wife left him about the time Ron and I met.  He hasn't gotten into another relationship. 

And Torbie is waiting for me to do my Bible study so I will go for now.  I hope you had a good weekend, I am praying for you all. 

1 comment:

spankadoo said...

my friend used to eat a banana mayo sandwich, I thought what the heck and tried it ..I felt just like you did the two of those things had no business on the same sandwich . I have heard of peanutbutter and mayo but YUK!