Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The three best

I didn't sleep well last night, excited about the photo shoot at the Blood Center. Ron can't drive me around, but he likes "taking care" of things like our Metrolift trips. We had a trip to go to the Blood Center downtown.

So, I got up, took my shower, did some light mineral makeup (turns out the makeup artist HATES mineral makeup), and my hair. I was happy with the hair. I always have trouble doing my eyes so I left them naked. Turns out I didn't need to do ANYTHING to myself makeup wise.

I put a mask on Ron's forehead and peeled it off. [laugh] Now he had a fresh and exfoliated forehead. The makeup artist commented on our "great color", I didn't tell her we don't use sunscreen. I trimmed his beard and put a little gel in his hair.

The shirts I picked are cobalt blue, I brought Ron's and wore mine. I had a tote bag with my Dr Pepper stash, some driver candy, my backpack, and the shirts.

Ron and I were worried we'd be stuffed in the back of a taxi, but they sent a big van. We had 2 other pickups and then they got dropped off. Then us. It was 1 hour before the appointment.

Ramona, the publicity lady, was already in the lobby. Ron and I said we were there to "break the camera" and they all laughed. We waited a bit. Boy, I had to pee! The building is very secure and one has to have a security badge that is swiped to open doors. Nice to know they are so protective of the blood supply!

At 10:30, we went upstairs. Bathroom! We were in a room that could seat 145 people. They had a big backdrop, cameras, and lighting. They had a table with a couple of people. They had a table with some snacks and an ice chest full of drinks. Makeup lady had one whole corner.

The photographer and Blood Center employees were delighted to hear Ron and I had matching shirts. They immediately wanted Ron in his. I took his shirt off and they gaped at his chest. He has some pretty impressive scars! I helped him put on his shirt and then it was off to makeup.

I sat on a tall director-style chair. She went after me for about 5 minutes. Lots of sponging, powdering, attention to undereye bags, eyes and eyebrows were lined. She even put foundation on my chest! I wasn't wearing anything slutty but it did have a somewhat lower neckline, about 3 inches below the collarbone. She "evened it out". Blush, you name it. I didn't recognize myself. I thought it looked a little theatrical and overdone, but reminded myself she is a pr0fessional. I figured I needed to be emphasized so I looked OK.

I have never seen a "Made-up" looking person in the publicity photos. They all look very natural. She did some powder for Ron and fixed his hair. She even combed and hairsprayed his beard!

Then photo time. We both sat in chairs. Smile! Smile! My aunt came in about this time and said I looked a little strained, but later on I was laughing and looked "A lot better". Standing up, sitting down. Turn, chin up, just right... SNAP.

Oh, I forgot to mention they had me take off my glasses. I have "Transistions" lenses and the photographer said he'd have problems, so I took them off. The cameraman really liked Ron. He gave very clear directions to Ron and Ron would adjust accordingly.

I kept smiling and smiling. At one point my face got kind of stuck and I had to make faces for a few seconds to get it "better". It was funny. I am sure some of the photos suck. But I am sure some of them came out well.

It is hard work! I am glad I'm not a model. I'm glad I'm not on TV or anything, either.

After it was over, I got a Diet Coke out of the cooler. Ramona gave us each a t-shirt and a nice letter. We had already signed our releases. I drank my pop and chatted with my aunt.

Then, off to the House of Pies for lunch. Ron and I each had a chopped steak with eggs. My aunt had some kind of Mexican egg and meat dish. I had a piece of pie for dessert, I hope I don't regret that. The Metrolift trip home was going to be a monster, so my aunt gave us a ride. We had a good time!

As we left, Ramona said they will be sending me a CD with the three best photos. Retouched. I can use them however I want.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

OMG how fun!!!!! Heather that is just terrific good for you!!!! and I was there as I read your post

if there was wheat in the pie take a benadryl now!!!!
will they give you printed photos to frame?

Ginny said...

Sounds like the photo shoot went well!!

I bet your glad that's over and done with though. LOL

Ginny

Heather Knits said...

Heidi, I get digital images. I plan to send some to Mom & Dad - she loves photos, especially formal ones. I can always print them off. Personally, I prefer candid shots taken on the beach or whatever.

Ginny, you betcha. I am so glad I am not a model or TV person!