Friday, June 11, 2010

The Best Cat!

Well, I had a pretty busy couple days. Did you miss me?

I got tired of watching Bubba scratch at his ears. I did his flea treatment a few weeks ago and he wasn't any better; so I know he had an ear mite problem. The veterinarian drops must be refrigerated, and let me tell you; the sweet white kitty you see in the slideshow turned into a hostile and grudging hellcat when he saw me with the dropper!

Poor Bubby. He's the black cat, by the way. In fact, his real name is Mr Black, but I started calling him Bubba - because he's a good old boy who loves to lie around, look out his window, and hunt. When he's particularly endearing he's Bubby. I don't use him for any passwords so I can share all this.

Anyway, I had the bottle of ear drops in my hand. Poor cat. "Petroleum distillate" "DO NOT GET ON SKIN!" and I'm going to literally put it INTO the cat's ears.

I cut the top off as he pranced in through his cat door and gave me a leg massage. I sadly thought, that's the last time I'll get one of those. I felt so clever as I grabbed his scruff and straddled him. I've done objectionable things with drops, pills, and such to several cats. I have a technique. I tipped the bottle over and squeezed it. Nothing. Still holding poor old Bubba with one hand, I take the top off and look at the bottle. No safety film or anything.

I put the top back on. Squeezed it again. Poor old Bubby is silent as he considers my abberant new behavior and probably wonders what's next. I take the lid off AGAIN, still holding him down. AH! There's a piece of paper across the inside of the lid. I can't get it off with one hand. I need something to pry. I spot a knife, but it's several feet away.

I stare down at the cringing cat and know he's GONE the minute I let him go. He is very uncomfortable, he needs this treatment, and I can't release him. I need the knife, though. I drag the poor kitty across the floor and snatch the knife, still holding Bubby down with one hand.

Not once has Bubba fought me. He has resisted, yes. He has tried to slither away, but he hasn't gone feral on my like Frosty used to do. I had more that one ear drop Frosty dispensal that resulted in me bleeding profusely. Frosty was a sulker, too.

Bubba's just hunched on the floor staring at me. I finally get the drops and dispense them. I massage them in as the vet showed me. When I let his ear go, he shakes his head; then I repeat. He stares up at me. Am I DONE? I release him, another head shake, and he runs to Daddy.

I told Ron "You'd better TREAT him! He was a GOOD BOY!" Bubba even walked up to me an hour later and gave me a leg massage!

It's easy, now that Frosty's with Jesus, to put a halo on him. "He was the BEST cat!" Well, Frosty was the most affectionate and cuddly cat I've known; but Bubba is without a doubt the BEST cat.

He brought me Frosty; and he is very forgiving. He doesn't like the Advantage applications, or the ear drop, but he seems to understand I do them with his welfare in mind. He's the most forgiving cat I've known, as well.

He's stopped digging at his ears, too. :)

No comments: