Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Platelet time

First I'll talk about the Platelets. I went to the Blood Center, they screened me. I had an awesome iron level of 42, it had to be 38 for me to donate. My last try was 36. After my screening, the manager came in and sat down at the desk.

"You have a very high platelet count" (Is that a good thing? Yes) "We're going to have you do double platelets every time you come in from now on, unless there's an emergency. You have a rare blood type, too." Awesome!

So, they settled me in my chair. 3 people came by and examined my arm. I was given a star-shaped squishy toy. I didn't like it and eventually exchanged it for a large ball. The third person did the actual needle stick, taking his time to set it up perfectly. In we go! The machine pulls me blood out, a portion at a time, filters out the platelets, and then returns everything else to me.

The first 20 minutes went great. Ron had a good time in the waiting area, talking on the phone, listening to his music. Huh. I just heard my first cicadia of the summer. Good. He was disappointed he could not donate yet.

The needle must have moved, I had to strain a little to squeeze the ball on the "draw" cycle; but I asked God to help make this work if He wanted me to donate. He did. They also slowed down the draw rate and it took a little longer. But now I know, since I will be Platelet Time all the time, to tell them set it for an hour cycle. They were as nice as ever, very appreciative.

All told it took about 2 hours; but right as we finished there's Metrolift. I was pretty tired, I always need a nap after donating (but I have disabilities), so we came home. I had a nice 2 hour nap with Bubba stretched on the bed.

Now, backtracking to the start of the day, got up, did my God time. I had an insane quantity of Bibles and candy. We took the wheelchair to a store, near the Blood Center. I had the legs of the wheelchair, hanging in a sack, on the back. While at the store Ron was obviously uncomfortable. I took a leg out of the sack and mounted it, allowing him to rest his feet on the plate.

A wheelchair leg, at least for "Ironsides" also makes a formidable weapon. Ron was baffled as he heard the noises, he said it sounded like a skillet! I had placed a few things in Ron's lap as I shopped, and he moved one of them off to the side.

We checked out and ate breakfast at a fast-food place. It wasn't bad, but next time I'm not going there for breakfast. [shrug] Handed out a bunch of Bibles at the McDonalds. Then left.

I saw 2 men that drew my attention. One was a very dejected-looking man sitting at a picnic table. Obviously severely depressed. Ron drew my attention to an idling truck and teased me about giving the driver a Bible. The way we were going, I couldn't have done that for either.

Ron had to get up at one point and take a few steps to get past an obstacle. As he did, I saw the unpaid-for-item. I shrieked "I'm a shoplifter!", put Ron BACK in the chair, and went BACK to the store. Paid for it. But I handed out a couple more Bibles as a result.

As we left for the second time, I heard the truck again, and did a course correction. Ron laughed off to the side in the chair as I gave the driver a Bible, very happy to get it. Then I went and gave one to the sad man. God worked that well.

We got to the Blood Center a few minutes late, and the place was packed. I was surprised when Ron told me they only had one opening for platelets, in the morning. Sadly, many times I've seen drop-ins walk in and end up on the machine.

I got Ron settled comfortably and then did my stuff, you know the rest.

No comments: