Sunday, June 6, 2010

Houston Dollar Stores reviewed

Heidi, I didn't forget you. I was thinking and trying to make time for this.

My safety talk here won't make much sense for a bit. Once, on my other blog, I had a horrifying experience. I had confided in a fellow Houstonian. I shared the location of "my" Starbucks. She blabbed it on the public format of my blog. I was horrified.

For a driving person, it wouldn't matter, but I was sitting out at the bus stop near this Starbucks everytime I had a Day Out. Someone could easily FIND me based on this information. I went screaming to a moderator, begging her to please delete this information. I did not react kindly to the divulgence of this information. The poor woman is probably still curled up somewhere, whimpering.

Personally, I think she liked the IDEA of "Coffee with Heather". She could think "Wouldn't it be nice to have coffee with her sometime?" without actually doing it.

As you know, I had a horrible experience witnessing the felony acts of an insane stalker when I was a young teenager. I saw the damage it did to my Dad, who managed to escape the slaughter. I heard, again and again, protect your personal information.

Someone I knew, who believes he loves me, got personal information, including my street address and married name, off the internet. I actually let my website "go" as a result. It creeped me out to think of him downloading personal photos; especially since he isn't entirely in reality and is an avowed pagan.

So, on the one hand: I try to be careful about sharing personal data. But then I hear, with an email people can get your home address and probably pull up your last income tax. Most public records are just that - public. I admit I have looked people up on public websites and gotten alarming amounts of information about their homes.

Where's the balance? Do I divulge my location in Houston? Do I give a N-S-E-W "quadrant"? Do I say "Southwest, outside the Belt?" Obviously, I don't post my home address; although from what I read a determined person could get it.

As a woman, I have to be careful. Ron suggests a clamshell approach. I'm trying to tread the line between "paranoid" and "practical".

UGH. Boy, I had a "discussion" with Ron. I don't know, never will know, how much of it is head injury and how much is just insensitivity and lack of respect: He thinks it is fine to just dump a subject on me without even asking if I'd like to discuss it - today's being his views on the Devil and why God is "stupid" for "Not fixing the Devil". I tried to change the subject - he didn't want to listen. It didn't matter that he was interrupting my privacy and cutting me off when I tried to talk.

Why am I ANGRY? AAAGH.

Anyway, now you understand why I will not share one Dollar store location: too close to personal. I WILL be adding in some Thrift Stores.

[Ron came and apologized, gets the Good Husband award.]

I will review some chains and share my opinions:

LOVE 'EM
1. My number one all-time favorite thrift store: Savers/Value Village. I have built fantastic work wardrobes out of $20 and a trip to Value Village or Savers. When I lived in CA, I had prayed and asked God to guide me if he wanted me to move to Houston. I was The next time I went to Saver's I saw a huge locations map inside the door - with a big star highlighting the Houston area. If I could only go to one thrift store for the rest of my life, this is it.

2. Dollar Store: Dollar Tree. Unlike many "so-called" Dollar stores, DT has every item for a dollar. Plus tax. Great cleaning products, sanitizers, candy, and seasonal items. Worth the stop. I seldom walk out empty-handed.

3. Can't talk about it. Locals, both of them.

4. Giant $ - odd but true. They have a wide variety of "stuff" for $1.09. I have gotten cleaning products, slippers, and other items. I found the $1.09 (twelve-pack) condoms almost as funny as the $1.09 pregnancy tests - you'll probably need the one if you use the other!

Those are the "big ones" that come to mind offhand.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I totally understand and had to hide online for a while as you know ..
I kind of just wanted to see you compare dollar store chains so that was cool you did that thank you!!! ..I get confused by them ...right now where i live
our Dollar Stores (the actual name) are closing here!

Heather Knits said...

You can't go wrong with Savers/Value Village and Dollar Tree. If I could only go to 2 stores they'd be it.

Heidi said...

we have a dollar tree and Value Villiage and a very good Good Will!

thanks so much for the advice

do you ever buy the produce in he dollar stores? I have found once in a while it was "ok" but never bought any

Heather Knits said...

Honestly, Heidi, no. I don't eat enough produce, and when I do it is generally Foodtown produce.

Awesome that you have BOTH VV and DT!

Rachel Abugov said...

We have Value Village (In French, it's Village des Valeurs) and Dollarama. In fact, the joke is that Montreal used to be so Catholic that there was a church every block, now we've got Dollaramas! I go to Dollar Tree every time I'm in the US and it never disappoints. But I love Dollarama. Last week's find was Nestle "Crystal Light" type stuff, which was a buck at Dollarama and $2.97 for exactly the same package at the supermarket! You bet I stocked up!