Monday, June 14, 2010

Pops and Goldie

While we were at the dentist, I was teasing Ron, calling him "Pops" - reminding him of the old man who thought Ron was my Dad. Ron countered with "Goldie", short for "Gold-digger" - how he made me LOOK to the old man because his pride was offended. We kept bantering back and forth all afternoon and evening, in a loving way.

Dentist said Ron had an abcess and needed a root canal. Let's just say, that was well over a mortgage payment. Ouch. I hung out with him because he gets bored and lonely, and I actually like the dentist. Besides, I used to have a horrible dental phobia (I had some bad extractions to make room for braces when aged 12). I don't want to be a fearful person and hanging out in the office,w hen I'm not in the chair, is a good way to do it. That took a while, we had to put the ride on hold.

Afterward, Ron had his prescriptions. He was starting to hurt pretty bad so we went to Walmart to fill them. While waiting, I bought him some Oragel gel, and got him a bag of ice for his face. He said the ice distracted him from the pain. He was sure happy to get the pain pills.

We are taking tomorrow off; for many reasons. MY main reason, the guy who went off on me today will be there alone tomorrow. I would just as soon avoid him until he gets his head together. He goes off every now and then. Last year it was something Ron did (a very minor thing). It was so offensive to him he made a big production out of it for days, then generously (rolleyes) decided to "forgive" Ron, then spent a week apologizing. Oh boy. Another time a guy at work said "I can't give you a ride unless I get some gas money" and he fumed for weeks.

I don't want the guy to catch me alone and rant at me, then go off again and say I said and did stuff I didn't. Right now HE looks like an ass. No one cares except him. I want to keep it that way, and isn't it handy that Ron had this root canal? Ron absolutely needs to rest tomorrow anyway.

[shrug] We all have problems, but I try to keep my problems my own property, if that makes any sense. If you want to come here and read about them, great! But I'm not going to dump it on you. I'm certainly not going to sack up all my stresses, and then totally unload them on the first person who "offends" me. I won't break confidences, but life could be a lot easier for this guy if he made a few simple changes and he knows it.

But [shrug], if someone wants to walk around all angry and stressed out, wanting me to listen to the same old problem again and again, I'll do it. I have done it for several years now. Kind of like the guy who is always buying our coffee, and always complaining about it and demanding refunds and free cups of coffee. It's just part of the scenery.

It's not like I don't have ENOUGH problems, you know. [laugh] Nah, none at all. It's just completely wierd.

Oh, and my favorite scene of the day: We are at the Walmart deli, getting ready to buy some food. An older lady with a really sour face in an electric scooter, rolls up and literally THROWS food at a deli worker, shouting at her. Ron asked me what was going on. I looked at the woman. She looked back at me, still shouting. "Ron," I replied "She's having a tantrum."

"How old is she?" Ron asks.
"Old enough to know better."

I made sure to give a compliment to the manager; for the employee. She certainly deserved it.

No comments: