Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The REST of the day

So, finally our cab arrived. A nice, normal, Christian man. If it is a regular contract cab, I don't sit in the front seat. It can make them slightly nervous. If I were a Houston cabbie working the streets, I'd be the same.

However, he had so much junk in his trunk (literally!) that the wheelchair had to go in the backseat, with me in the front seat. All I'll say, I think he has a cluttering problem. Eeek.

He is a very nice guy, a good driver, and we only had to give directions once. We got to work JUST in time for our delivery.

Before I say this, I'll remind y'all that both Ron and I have multiple disabilities. I'm supposed to be in some workshop, and Ron's supposed to be in a nursing home. We had only scheduled 2 hours, but got cut to one due to Wierdo. Part-time is about all we can HANDLE most days.

I still got the delivery, put it up, did meter readings, fixed a naughty machine, and helped Ron. We didn't have enough time to do all the work, so we have to go in tomorrow, our day off. (Waaah!)

We agreed on this before leaving work. As I left work with the wheelchair, I saw a Metrolift cab. I sat in the front and talked to the driver while we waited on Ron. He was horrified, all my drivers were, about this morning. He agreed that refusing to take a trip like that is a direct violation of policy and said he will probably not be working tomorrow.

No way would I want someone I loved or hated in his care. If he was that bad sitting at the curb, imagine what he'd be like in traffic? Besides, what's he going to do when a slow client pees on the seat? It happens all the time, clients with horrible bladder control. "You peed in MY cab!" There are very difficult clients, very tempermental and moody, but you can't go to that level when dealing with them. UGH. There are dozens of healthy young men beating down the doors, especially in this economy. They don't need him around.

So, we went to the bank and did our business - Ron had some questions for the customer service lady, too. Afterward, a trip to the mall! I needed some more Driver Candy.

I brought a choice of English or Spanish, and she (Driver Candy Store Lady) wanted the Spanish. I handed out a lot of candy today. So, I ran my errand.

I decided to go to Wendy's for my lunch. I got 3 bunless Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers, not bad and pretty filling. I also got a side salad. It was great, but the ranch dressing was a little vinegary. [shrug] Ron got his usual.

I realized I was running depressed. I took another Wellbutrin and it was a good call. My mood got back to normal, even though my face got all red and flushed.

We talked about what we wanted to do and decided to go to Starbucks. We had the chair, so it was an easy matter to take the bus. As I pushed Ron out to the bus stop, I heard someone calling me.

The bus driver for the route was Steve, a guy I really liked. He got bumped off his route by another driver. I got to see him again, and introduce him to Ron!

I got Ron setup in the wheelchair parking and we had a good ride to our stop. I handed out more candy.

I got off and Ron realized he needed more Glucosamine. Every time he stops taking it, he ends up in horrible pain. He said he "thought' he had a couple days left. Uh-uh. We're getting it today. It took a lot longer to check out than it did to get the Glucosamine!

Then, off to my favorite chain gas station, to get some pop. They were OUT of Diet Coke with Lime (cries). I got a Diet Mountain Dew for tomorrow's breakfast. That stuff will really raise the dead. It'll be a nice treat. He got some candy, and then off to Starbucks.

We each got our usual. Ron decided he wanted to take a cab home so we called one. We got one of my favorites, a guy I'll call Romeo. We tease Ron that we are going to run off together, and I refer to him as "My boyfriend". What makes it funny: the guy is about 15 years older than Ron, and almost completely bald. He LOVES the attention.

We had a good ride home, I took out all the trash, got my shower, let my hair dry, and took my nap. Yay.

No comments: