Monday, June 28, 2010

The Knock at the Door

It's sad. Someone knocks on the door, my instinct is to go answer. However, some push-in home invasions and violent assaults have led to a re-evaluation of my policy.

Just now, I heard a loud banging at the door. I started for the door, stopped, and looked out the window. Mail truck. I looked out the peephole. Mailman, dressed properly. OK. THEN I opened the door.

How sad that we live in that kind of world! Where we can't just open the door when someone knocks!

I slept HORRIBLY, again, and got up at 2. I did my God time and Ron woke up. He was feeling pretty good - seemed to have dealt with whatever issues were bugging him.

I drank insane quantities of caffeine, and was a little dim, but managed to get to work OK. I had a little trouble when we went 20 minutes out of our way to pick up a guy in a dirty undershirt and too much cologne, who kept coughing up a lung. I reminded myself I would only get sick of God willed it, and spitefully wondered if he cough could be alleviated by a good shower's removal of the horrible cologne. It was like a urinal cake mating with some rotten fruit. UGH.

Then we dropped him at a Spanish "Temple of Power". I don't know what that is. I don't know what he worships, and I was happy to get out of there.

THEN work. Even after all that, we still beat the other vendor with a car! We had a nice deliveryman. Got the soda. I mashed up cardboard because Ron's boss is coming to visit Thursday. I did the pull and prepped the deposit. I checked snacks, which didn't need much at all. Happily, Food 1 is behaving.

I unloaded most of the pallet, rotated stock, and stacked it up. I gave Ron the soda he needed to stock. They really want orange pop right now.

Finally, done. We got picked up by a nice guy. He is an immigrant, from the Caribbean. He has a lovely accent. He took us to the bank. We transacted, and left. He picked us up again and took us to Walmart.

I got Ron in "his" cart and we got our supplies. I needed cat food, some canned food items, and got some Diet Dr Pepper because it was on sale. I was happy I only spent $40. About half of what I got went into our disaster kit.

Our ride was going to be an hour late, so the dispatcher fixed it. We wondered what that meant.

The same driver picked us up for a THIRD time. I was teasing him relentlessly, "What did you call that dispatcher? It must have been awful! They've cursed you with us 3 times today!" He was really happy to see the hamburger, too. I always try to get one for the driver if we have a Walmart pickup.

Now, all I need to do: some cooking and dishes. That's it. I'm trying to take it easy.

I bought some valerian root to help with my sleep cycle. It is kind of like an herbal sleeping pill. Helps you go to sleep, and stay asleep.

It looks like it will be raining all this week, on my days off. We will probably not see the hurricane but I've learned to watch the weather. I'm sure the TV stations love the additional viewers.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I have been so busy ...the rain has eased up and my poor garden needed attention ..now I am sore and tired but have to go to my paying job! ..I missed reading your blog Heather! I have not caught up entirely ...but wanted to say ..I love the new videos of Ron..he really looks great! He is lucky to have you there taking such great care of him! you seem to have ups and downs like most marriages I know and sometimes downs are hard ...but the ups make it worth it! As long as you are taking care of Heather!

I am glad you are feeling better and sorry you were sick!

and as far as company you keep ..well I believe "there but for the Grace of God go I" and offer water bottles and kindness to the homeless

I am a nurse who has worked with a very high risk population and while many people have torched many bridges to get to the streets ..many are as you know ..mentally ill or substance abusers..or both ..either way they are human beings who need consideration
thanks for all your brilliant and inspirational posts..I have to rush to work now but I will come back and finish reading them hopefully during my break today
take care an cyber hugs sent to you for your kind spirit