Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I didn't want to ride with him, either

It's already been an odd morning. Our first driver pulled up. I went outside with the wheelchair and opened the front door to the cab.

I got in. "Are you riding with your husband?" Yes.
"You have to sit in the back with him."
What?
"You have to sit in the back. You can't sit in the front and have your husband in the back."
Yes, I can. We do this all the time.
"Why?"
I live with him and work with him 24/7/365. I can stand to be apart from him now and then!
"You have to sit in the back."
I know, full well, the Metrolift policy on cab seating is "First come, First served" if the seat is empty, anyone can ride in it.
"You have to sit in the back with your husband." I tell him I'd rather not, I had a very unpleasant experience stuffed in the back with a very fat man with sores all over his arms, pressed against me in my short-sleeved shirt.
"You'll be sitting next to your husband."
Yes, but what about the OTHER SIDE? I choose to ride in the front.
"Why don't you want to ride with your husband?"
I already explained. Is this METROLIFT policy - the wife has to ride in the back with her husband?
"No, but it's mine. If you want to ride you have to sit in the back. Do you want to ride?'
[rolleyes] I go in the house and let Ron know what a "treat" we've got. He is furious. He is very protective of me and hates to see others pushing me around.
"I hear you don't want my wife riding in the front seat?"
"Yes. She has to ride with you, in the back."
"Why?"
"It's my policy, are you riding?"
I tell him, sure, I'll play his game (rolleyes) but Metrolift will be getting a call about his "policy" and he'd better be prepared to defend it when he gets off work. I know his policy is in direct opposition to Metrolift policy.
He goes to secure the wheelchair. Ron does not know the driver's side window is rolled down.
"Why is this guy acting like such an asshole?"
Boy, the driver went nuts. You called me a name, I won't carry you now, get out of my cab. Get out. You called me name.
What was the comment about eavesdroppers never hearing good of themselves? [rolleyes]

So the guy drives off in a huff. Ron calls and nicely explains what happens. Even dispatch admits the guy was wrong and (paraphrasing) they don't get to cherrypick their passengers and make up their own rules. They are sending him back to get us.

Later on, they called back. He refused to come back for us (a firing offense), in addition to making up his own mandatory rules and refusing to carry a client.

Personally, I'm glad. I wouldn't have felt safe riding with him. A guy like that does not need to be working for Metrolift. He had horrible interpersonal skills, and was way too rigid to make a good driver.

UGH. Now, we are stuck waiting on a cab, so we can get to work. [rolleyes] What a morning already.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

what an awful thing Heather ..I try never to hope badly for anyone but I hope that guy does find another job soon ..obviously his choosen profession is not a good match
sorry Heather what a drag!