Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day Out in the Rain


"What you're doing is VERY IMPORTANT. Don't let anyone stop you!" That wonderful comment came from someone who'd just gotten some Driver Candy and a New Testament. "This is a great idea, the candy and the Bible". How wonderful! Sometimes I feel like I'm throwing all my time, energy, and Driver Candy down a dark hole. I ask God for encouragement daily, and to be a source of encouragement, and that was just what I needed.


I don't think I'd realized how discouraged I'd become until he told me to hang in there. Nothing like having a bus driver shouting NO I DON'T WANT THAT to really brighten my day, then staring at me like a dangerous criminal until I got off the bus. At least the homeless people at the bus stop said thank you!


Weather said 50% chance of rain, heavy in the early afternoon. I got up around 8, took my shower, did my God time, bagged up candy, talked to Ron, and thunder and lightning rolled in around 11, as I was getting ready to leave. The sky opened up. Thunder roared, lightning flashed, and God was telling me "Catch that bus!" Yes, Lord. I got the umbrella and donned my yellow slicker.


I hustled to the bus stop and got to stand there for a few minutes; but I caught it. Once I got to talking to the driver, I understand why God wanted me there. I got off, had a great experience at the gas station.


I'd given a Bible + candy to one cashier, and was preparing to hand a bag of candy to the other. "I want a Bible too!" Yes, ma'am! I even left the bag of candy for the boss.


I went to the New Testament bookstore and picked up 10. Money was pretty tight. Ron later gave me an eye-widening wad of small bills. Thanks! Some horrible wrecks due to the rain, including one that involved trapped people, fire, and death. That one had all the bus drivers talking.


Thank GOD I ride with professionals; every time I get in a vehicle I am not responsible for anything other than being a good passenger (and handing out the Bible!). Shudder. I am so glad driving was never on the table for me; prayed for the victims and families. I have never been in a car wreck! Ever! Thank you, Lord!


That said, the old paranoid Heather says something bad will happen now. Huh. Even if it does, God's will, baby!


So, I went to Starbucks. Handed out a bunch of candy. Drank my thingie, did my Bible study. Talked to Ron, he said he was bored.


I caught the one bus, got yelled at for trying to give the candy, then treated like a criminal. Yike. Well, the Bible says I am blessed when that happens. I do get that reaction occasionally; but the offer was made.


I got off and a couple of homeless people panhandling. They looked pretty nasty. One of them came over and sat next to me. I could feel God, strongly, prompting me, to give her a bag of candy. I ignored her for a couple of minutes and it just kept getting LOUDER.


OK, Lord. I gave her the candy. She was thrilled. The man (turned out to be her husband) came over. I gave him one too. He looked so awful, only Jesus in me could do it. It started pouring and they didn't have an umbrella, but for SOME REASON God had laid it on my to bring 2 today... [laugh] so they got an umbrella too.


Then they left. I had the encouraging bus ride and walked home. Ron asked if I'd "Mind" going to the BBQ place. It's only one bus ride, and not far from Foodtown. Sure, why not? I took off my raincoat and backpack, hanging the bag of candy/bibles on the back of the wheelchair.


Ready to roll, literally. I remembered the mail lady. She loves water, I'd frozen a bottle. We stuck that in the mailbox as we left. We saw her and chatted briefly.


Off to the bus stop. We had Flyers today. That's the photo in this post; a flyer. You can see how easy it is to push Ron on and off the bus. Ron and I adore the Flyers. In fact, he prayed for one as we waited.
We got off. Some challenging spots between the bus and the BBQ - I am glad he can get up and walk over curbs and such. We finally got there.
I got a half pound of brisket, and Ron got a chopped beef. It was delicious, we had a great time, gossiping about David and his first wife Michal from the Old Testament.
Then we went to Foodtown. Ron was in the chair, and I got a box from a lady stocking produce. He held the box in his lap as we got me some Diet Dr Pepper, and Ron some spicy nacho chips. He doesn't want to tempt me, and loves the extremely hot chips. So, he gets those. He knows I have no resistance to a nice sour cream and onion.
He said he felt bad "Bothering" me and "Making me work". I told him, my love language is quality time, and... he got it. I told him my idea of a great date was exactly like we'd done. The bus came, this guy didn't want candy either. Well, I ask God to keep me humble! If everyone fell down flat thanking me and crying I would have a very swollen ego! Then I'd be useless and I can't think of anything worse than being useless to God!
All told, I got "like" 5 miles of walking total. Ron gave me the equivalent of a couple day's pay, that was a wonderful surprise. I got more Bibles and gave some out. One lady DEMANDED one, even better. I got a great compliment from a fellow believer, and had a great date with my husband. A good day.


No comments: