Friday, June 4, 2010

Insane Bible Distribution Day

I have to laugh at myself. I just got out of the shower. While showering, I shaved my legs with a new razor. I managed to nick the back of my ankle. That seems to be my target spot, either leg. I actually have a scar on the back of one leg. Years ago, Ron came in while I was showering and said something, and I jumped and gashed myself. It's small.

Anyway, there I was naked and covered in suds, staring at my blood running down the drain. My immediate thought was "Damn it! There goes my iron level!" I was worried I would bleed too much and lower my iron level, rendering me unable to donate next week! [snort] Funny to know my priorities.

Anyway, the blood was nice and dark. When my fingerstick looks like that, the phlebotomist always says they know I can donate, even before the computer. I only lost about a tablespoon, no biggie. I once nailed the side of my knee and it took about 20 minutes to get it to stop. Right about the time I thought I'd better get Mom, it finished. This is on the "minor" side of the shaving gash scale.

I disinfected it, put on the ointment, and raided the first aid kit. I have a large toolbox. I have just about everything in it, including a monster ziplock sack of bandages. You may or may not remember, last summer I managed to mangle my right hand, twice, within a weeks' time. I went through a lot of bandaids!

I had a great time today. I walked out of the house today with an INSANE amount of Bibles and candy. My tote bag was STUFFED. I don't keep track of quantities. I can hand out a million Bibles, but it's GOD doing the real work. I'm just the glove, God's the hand. Keeping track of quantities will only feed my ego, and I want to be humble.

Anyway, God laid it on me to load up. I did. I went out and handed them out to virtually everyone. Several bus drivers (including 3 on the "bad" route I should "never" ride - snort), several passengers on the bus - various buses. People waiting at the bus stop. Cashiers. People waiting in lines. A Starbucks customer. A guy asleep on the bus. I put it on top of his bag. If God laid it on me, I handed it out. Oh, I almost forgot McDonalds. Talk about INSANE. I was handing them out to almost everyone in the restaurant, at LUNCH. Employees too.

A few people thought I was working some kind of scam. A few accepted very reluctantly. Most were some degree of delighted/pleased. No one refused! Yay! If I do it with God's guidance, it always goes well. Even if it doesn't, I'd be persecuted for the Gospel! No higher compliment for a Christian.

So, I walked in the door with a few Spanish, and 2 sugarfree. That's it! I handed it ALL out, and I had a lot of fun!

I caught the home bus and went to my connector. I went into "my" gas station and bought 4 bottles of soda, diet of course. I went to the bus stop and waited, caught the "scary" bus. [snort]

I have ridden some really AWFUL buses. This one is fine. Because it services a poor area, it runs frequently. A big plus.

I got off at a McDonalds and got myself some brunch - a couple of bunless double cheeseburgers, add bacon. The only BBQ sauce they had was chipolte - very hot. I just used the BBQ sauce pump over by the napkins. It was tasty. I had a really excellent side salad - good ranch dressing, beautiful salad. It had the pretty lettuce and a nice variety of greens. Everything was fresh and crisp. I am horrible about eating veggies, but I could eat one of those every day.

Note to self: buy salad stuff at Foodtown.

I had bought a large drink and got iced tea. In Chinese Herbal medicine, tea is considered a very cooling beverage, a wise choice on a hot day. Especially when I added all the ice! I drank a lot of tea. I headed over to Christian bookstore #1. I had a good time.

I thought it was funny that the cashier said "Hi Heather" just looking at my basket, before looking at my face, because I had a bunch of New Testaments. They liked the candy I gave them (you still get candy even if you're saved, I just skip the Bible and add a "Praise the Lord" booklet instead). I got a cool t-shirt.

I staggered out of there like a drunk, really loaded down. A walk to the bus stop - by now it is sunny, but cooler. It was very nice for Houston summer - high 80's, nice breeze.

I walked over to my next bus stop and waited. I started reading. Fortunately, Houston bus drivers pull up if they see me at a stop. They let me decide if I'm a passenger! I hear the air brakes, jump up, very apologetic, and hop on. They grin. "Thank you for saving me!" Man, the CA drivers were horrible. If you weren't looking and waving at the driver, they would pass you up. Nice guys. Glad I live in Houston.

We also have the most excellent air conditioned buses. I have been told if the A/C goes down on a bus, they take it out of service. We have Flyers, nice and easy buses - no climbing the stairs, it's at street level.

Anyway, I love my buses, bus routes, and drivers. I went to the other bookstore and looked around. They had some good storage options; I decided to get some nice colorful boxes for my evangelism storage.

I am presently strongly leaning towards storing it under my loveseat. It's up on legs, if that makes sense. It is just cushions on a wood frame. Very comfy. "Lillberg" by Ikea. I also have a Lillberg rocking chair, that's it for my "living room" seating, unless you also count the turquoise plastic armchair. One day I'll put up photos. The front room is a lot of black/turquoise and natural wood. I have a sheepskin on the back of the loveseat. Ron likes to pet it as he walks by, supporting himself by holding the back of the loveseat.

I like to sit in the loveseat and work on the Bibles, so it makes sense to have them ready, yet out of the way. Getting very overwhelming the way it is now! If I tame it this weekend, photos.

So, I got my boxes and that was about it. I had brought an even larger tote bag and crammed them in. I had the giant tote, the Jesus tote, and my personal backpack.

When I got to Starbucks, I said "I'm amazed you LET me in!" as I unloaded all my crap! [laugh] That's what it looked like.

I think the bus drivers like to see me at the stop, because I want to spoil them. One called me "Very sweet". I hope I am. I want to be seen as a pleasant person you'd want around. I don't want people screaming and stampeding when they see me. :) I used to see variations of that; and I understand. I wouldn't have wanted unmedicated, bitter, angry, me around either. Ugh.

One day I will share the embarassing tale of why Ron and I discontinued the "assistant" position at work, when we had the d*li. I never say that word. [shudder]

Ron had told me he didn't want to talk, so I didn't call him much. Just once to tell him "I got LONELY!" and then I rang his phone once - he could call me back if he felt like it, but if he was asleep or grumpy he didn't.

More waiting at the bus stop, more distribution, and eventually I made it home! I was so craving something really salty so I had a healthy meal of salami and cheese for dinner.

We go to work tomorrow, early. It shouldn't be too bad, though, just a couple of hours to make sure the "kids" are OK.

No comments: