Friday, June 11, 2010

Send Me

I'm a human being, I get discouraged. I get TIRED. Do I really want to spend ALL that time in prayer and Bible study? Actually, I do. I feel "hungry" if I miss my God time.

What about the evangelism? Tonight I bagged up tons of candy and 8 Bibles. Say about 8 Bibles, 20 bags of candy with scripture booklets. It took me about an hour.

Tomorrow most likely I will be lugging this huge heavy bag around in feels like 100, giving the contents away to random strangers as led by God.

I spend a lot of time on God most days, and now and then I wonder....is it worth it?

Today was a pretty good example. I was tired all day. I handed out my stuff to people and they were all polite. The only excitement I saw was when a Spanish driver recognized the "Pulparindo" candy I'd put in his candy bag.

Our last trip was over an hour and a half. OUR bus broke down; which meant we had a longer wait and a longer ride.

I had no soda at all. When you have a hideous dry mouth, it's horrendous.

I had this sack of candy and Bibles on my arm. I'm doing my duty, handing it out with a smile. I recently decided, since I know our mail carrier likes bottled water, to freeze a bottle of water the night before, wrap it in a paper towel, and stick it in the mailbox. I'm getting all this stuff with "Missionary" "Evangelism" and "Jesus" on it; I'd better ACT like I've got Him in my life.

We drop off 2 very rude women at a nursing home; drive a while and pick up another lady. She is an average weight, and is so infirm she has a terrible time getting on the van. She's between my age and Ron's. God puts it on me to give her a bag of Spanish candy. Yes, Lord.

I give it to her and she gets very excited. She examines the image on the cover of the booklet and begins reading the booklet. I kid you not, TEARS in her eyes as she repeats John 3:16 in Spanish. She wasn't very fluent in English, but this is what I gathered.

She was very grateful.
She has severe, chronic pain.
When it woke her up nights, she would be reading the booklet.
God's word is a tremendous comfort to her.
She is a believer and very in love with Him.
She loved the idea of giving it with the candy, and would be giving the candy to (young family member I think)
Did I have any more? I gave her what I did have, and a New Testament when I got home.

I ask God to make me a source of encouragement to people, as I get encouragement. That is absolutely what happened today. We were able to encourage each other.

When I got home, I found a huge box of Scripture booklets on the porch with a note from the carrier "GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!"

Seeing those reactions reminded me of WHY I do this: God is using me to bring people closer to Him. I may be the doorman, but I'm HOLDING THE DOOR to heaven! If someone chooses to walk on, that's very sad. The only thing sadder would be if I refused to hold the door.

I'm happy I spent an hour bagging up candy tonight. I was delighted to pray for everyone, knowing that God is and will absolutely use me, if I ALLOW it.

Send me.

No comments: