Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Running out of gas

I"m fine. I didn't sleep well; the cat kept getting in my face and meowing loudly, waking me up repeatedly. I finally got the truth out of Ron - he feeds the cat treats on request, and had shut HIS door last night "To get some rest". Great - for Ron. Ironically he said he slept terribly.

So, already tired. Hit the snooze button a few times too many, ending up rushing to get ready. Nothing quite like an early morning pickup to go to work, on my day off. This will not be a whiner post.

Got to work, did all the stocking. Busy. Then waiting in the hot sun for an hour on our pickup. Not fun. It was a nice driver, though.

I "have" to wait outside in this area; the plant has multiple driveways. They always go in the wrong entrance if I'm not out there waving frantically. Even drivers who know us well make this mistake. Ron waits inside while I wait out on the bench. Usually it is not bad. When they come up to me, I call Ron and he comes out. He waits on a chair inside.

We had a straight trip. Ooooh! He was also taking Ron home; easy for Ron. So, we went to "Our" Starbucks. I got my thing but they must have messed up the "milk" - I had ghastly 911 attacks of diarrhea all afternoon. Those, oh, God! Help me make it! attacks. Ugh.

[rolleyes] I will say something but I doubt anyone will admit "Oh, yeah, we gave you half and half instead of whole milk. I just assume they know... but maybe I need to be more firm. In Starbucks defense, though, it might have been lithium toxicity but I didn't have any other symptoms. Normally I slur my words and can't walk right if I'm toxic.

A nice long walk in the heat with a couple of cold bottles of diet pop. I did my deposit, and got some more plasticware for storing leftovers. The ones we had were getting "etching" which is a breeding ground for food-borne illness. I threw them all out.

I got the new ones, and some new headphones. My old earbuds were shot and sounded horrible. Worth it.

Then out to the bus stop and another nice long wait in the heat (I am handing out my candy all through the day). I have noticed something interesting. When I lived in CA, if you were not at the pole, and looking at the driver, you got passed up.

A lot of people here wait 50 feet off, under a shady tree, and watch me roast in the sun AT THE STOP. As I'm getting on, they run over and get on the bus. I guess they figure I can cook my brains, but they won't. I do get a little resentful. It's like, why don't we take turns or something? You want the bus, too. I tell myself to act like they aren't there. I would still be doing this if I were alone, so just pretend I'm alone.

A sad rule I learned early on, don't engage anyone at the bus stop. We all act like the others don't exist. If someone walks up to you and wants to talk, they probably want something.

I need to remind myself to act like it is Jesus waiting under the nice cool tree without even glancing down the road, when I'm squinting into the sun and the bench, if they have one, is so hot I'm literally burning my butt when I sit down. It's Jesus. He has a medical condition that requires him not to get overheated (so do I! - says my dark side). I would do it for Him.

Ron would remind me it's the end times and people aren't considerate anymore. That's why it IS such a big deal when I hand out my candy. And, I promised minimal whining.

I got off and went to a Christian bookstore. I had fun looking around and only spent a few bucks. I got another Bible Promise Book, but I always end up giving them away! I wonder how long this one will last.

It's amazing how happy I am - I found a half-drunk bottle of Diet Dr Pepper.

More walking. I went to Favorite Dollar. They have the best deals on quart sized ziplocks. 25 for $1, really. I loaded up and considered getting some other kind of wrapped candy. Nah. I got out of there for $6.50 and several boxes of bags. I had a new cashier and she loved her Bible/candy.

I checked the bus with Ron, and found out I had about 15 minutes. I sat down at the stop (there were a bunch of iffy people loafing in a parking lot, under a tree, turned out to be passengers), and started reading my new biography.

By this time my feelings of doom had pretty much evaporated, I was just getting tired. The bus pulled up and someone ran in front of me to get on. OK.

I got off at my stop and went by the grocery store. I was dying for something salty - probably hypoanatremia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia It makes sense, especially in light of the digestive issue.

I got a bottle of sport drink (Powerade Zero). I drank it while waiting at the bus stop.

Finally the bus came, then I had to walk home. Ugh.

I had to put up the garbage cans, then Ron wanted me to download music. We did that for a while. Then I told him I needed to rest.

I woke up, had to cook the cube steak before it goes out of code. Had to start the beef stew, same thing. Had to freeze the potroast leftovers before they turn. Wash the new containers.

I wanted to let you know I'm alright. Then Ron comes out. "Oh, we didn't download this song". Ron, I am exhausted. I don't want to download more music. "Here's my player!" Not tonight.

Then I smell the cube steak is burning. When the fridge is open, I don't have access to the stove. He's standing in front of the open stove, the steak is burning, and he's drinking soda out of a can. "I need you to move, now, my steak is burning!"

What is my problem, he wants to know. I am very tired and I needed to flip my steak. Oh, can I check his leftovers, he had a question about them. The leftovers are FINE.

Why am I getting "so mean"? I told him, I am very tired, exhausted. All I want to do is rest and he keeps asking for more and more. I am empty. Stop, please.

More with the mean crap and then he leaves me alone. UGH.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

first of all
many hugs what a rough day! even if you did not have diarrhea ..even if it was not 2948 degrees and you had to sit in the sun ...even if you steak burned and your husband was a PITA

you still gave!

" I tell myself to act like they aren't there. I would still be doing this if I were alone, so just pretend I'm alone."

I have to tell you this one sentence.. hit the nail on the head for me today I am going through something at work where really I have to do exactly what you said here! so thank you!!!

there is also a stomach flu going around ..bad bad fyi ..here where I live ..my daughter is in Dallas said her doctor told her that is his biggest call now ...and my sister on the other coast ...I am seeing tons in the clinic now ..major lower GI attacks ...could be a GI "flu"

feel better ..take care of yourself ..and know you touch people with your wonderful positive approach ..even when you feel like shit yourself
it was really OK not do download anymore music!!!! trust me I would have tossed the player at my husbands head..but I am not as nice as you!
OOOXXX

Unknown said...

Hi Heather! it is debkeversole from LCF! been missing you and thinking of you!! hope you have a good day today and that the heat eases off a little!! HUGS -Debbie!