Friday, June 18, 2010

Hoarders and executive functions

I have to be careful, I have real hoarding genes. It's emotional, genetic, and physical. Truly. The Executive functions of my brain are damaged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_functions

Anyway, I have gone into this at some length. I look around, finally NOTICE and get overwhelmed. I have figured out a little system that I use:
1. Throw away obvious trash.
2. Put donatable things in the bag
3. Figure out what to do with what's left.

With the #3 items, I have to look at it. What is it? Take Ron's CAT scan films. The neurologist gave them to us. What the heck category is that? The only other "medical" stuff we have; home health care equipment, prescriptions, and Ron's wallet sized Medicare card in his wallet! I will have to consult him; for now since they are 'visual" I have put them on the bookcase.

Then I have things like the yarn problem. Any crafter knows about the yarn problem. I need to seriously go through and get rid of all save one garbage bag of yarn. I love yarn. It is pretty, so much potential, and very cheap. It is dangerous too!

I need to donate 80% of the yarn, get all my needles and hooks together and put them on a bookcase shelf.

See, what brought all this on: Ron and I know a hoarder, I mean a HARD CORE hoarder. The kind of hoarder where they can't walk into certain rooms, and big piles of stuff all over. I am well aware I am not far from that, if I'm not careful.

Ron called me from the other room; Heather! So and so's house is on TV! I tuned to the channel; it was the show about hoarders. I listened to the husband ranting angrily and realized how much he sounded like Ron.

I like being married. I love my husband. Needless to say I spent the next hour picking up the front room! I have a nice big garbage bag, a substantial contribution to the donate pile (I even had to get another bag), and a lot more floor space. I didn't "get it all"; frankly, I have to go to bed.

I have lots of clean clothes on my bed that need to be put away. I didn't do the dirty clothes, but I am happy with what I accomplished.

Oh, and after 2.4 hours I washed out the henna. I like it; very subtle. My hair looks brown, not brown + gray. It is about the same color value and tone it was before; I hate it when I use a hair product and it makes my hair a lot darker. I like having BROWN hair. My scalp feels great and my hair, soft. I will post the name and all tomorrow.

Anyway, time to go. I hope you have a GOOD night! (((hugs))

No comments: