Sunday, July 26, 2020

Nothing to do with Ron, really

Well, it happened again... someone I liked posted something stupid about mental illness drugs, that they are "very bad for people".  

You know what's "bad"?  Me, hallucinating and delusional, sleep deprived, suicidal, and manic.  That's very bad.  

Why?  Why do people feel so compelled to come against my mental health drugs?  Is it the fact to many mentally ill resent them and believe accepting them means accepting the diagnosis?  

Is my cheerful, desperate, embrace of said drugs so unusual my doctor is led to label me a "model patient"?  Am I that unusual?  If so that is very sad.  

Let's look at it from another perspective.  My Dad is diabetic, type 2.  He takes Metformin.  I will never tell him to stop it.  I know the drug benefits him and the benefits outweigh the risks.  That uncontrolled blood sugar is a serious condition and he needs to take steps to manage it.  I would be upset it I felt he didn't take it daily.  I applaud his decision to be responsible and take care of himself.  

Let's contrast that to me.  "I have mental illness"  
"Do you take anything?" 
"Yes"
"What" 
I tell them, then get lectures on how "bad" it is and how I need to embrace my emotions instead of  drugging myself.  
I explain in vain my symptoms are "very bad" and they really do not want me unregulated.  
[Scoffing dismissal of my facts, name calling, and slander of pharmaceutical companies that provide the medication]  

Why would you attack someone for taking mental illness drugs?  Say they are "tricked"?  I don't get that at all.  

What I do know many with mental illness are very vulnerable, resentful, don't want the label that comes with taking medication every day, and very likely to stop taking it under pressure.  And then when they do snap the nay sayers say "They were taking drugs, see, they're unsafe!"  

No, they became unsafe because they stopped taking their medication.  I mean, I have to live with this every day: I could kill someone if I went off my meds.  Or myself.  That is a big deal.  I don't want to be the crazy person.  I have had enough of that; so I take my pills.  

When Doc handed me my medication I reached out for it, clutched it close, and immediately began taking it as directed.  I'm not kidding, my first appointment I dosed out the pills and took a handful right there in front of the doctor.  I had ENOUGH of crazy town.  I was ready for some regulation.  That was our first visit, and he laughed and said I would do "very well".  And he's been right.  

When I told him about the report to APS he was outraged and demanded I have the social worker call him so he could set her straight.  Called me a "model patient".  He was livid.  He was not worried about me at all and outraged someone had put me through this.  

So congrats whoever you got a very nice old man's blood pressure up.  

But that's how I roll; very dedicated to my medication.  But I still have these idiots out there telling me to toss my blood pressure pills.  

As far as I'm concerned that talk should be criminalized.  

No comments: