Monday, February 25, 2013

Big Thought

I finally remembered my "Big Thought" yesterday during church.  I was standing there in church, in "our" seats (in the middle, front, near the aisle).  Ron stood next to me wearing his nice sweatshirt and slacks, humming, clapping, and singing along with the music. 

When Ron gets very discouraged, he calls himself names.  I always tell him "Ron, anyone carrying your load would get discouraged."  I reiterate all his physical and financial problems, and end with "And, worst of all, you're married to me!"  We both grin. 

Hopefully I am an encouragement to Ron, encouraging him to fling all his burdens at God.  God knows we sure can't handle them on our own.  If I have any spiritual "secret" to impart, that's it.  I just throw everything on God and leave it with Him. 

So, standing there, next to Ron, I thought "We've come a long way in the last couple years".  I thought we would never get here. 

I figured God couldn't handle Ron's drinking problem, I had to address it on my own, somehow.  I figured out "right quick" that would never happen - no one person can fix another.  Then I figured Ron would never respect and value me.  Wrong again.  God worked on his heart, a few sensible boundaries, and he's a guy I enjoy.  I want to spend time with him now - that's God, too. 

Ron also sacrifices most of his day off to get me to church, because he knows it's important to me.  He likes and respects the people he's met there, too. 

Don't put limits on God - give him everything, and He will astound you. 

That was my Big Thought. 

No comments: