Saturday, February 2, 2013

Last thought for the evening

I am not a victim.  The big, bad, pharmaceutical company is not exploiting me.  You want to see how I got the nickname "Heather the Hatchet"?  Say something about my doctor.  Try it.  I have nothing but profound gratitude and deep affection for the man.  I am not an addict - trust me, I know addiction.  How can I be addicted when I don't get a high and have terrible side effects?  They never answer that one. 

Yeah, I ran into the "medications are making our children crazy" crowd.  Some stuff on Facebook - let me say it's a good thing I am taking my pills or I'd be apoplectic. 

"Oh, Jimmy was forced to take psychiatric medication, then he killed someone".    The fearmongers fail to understand the concept of mania. 

If you give a bipolar person a stimulant, an antidepressant, or God forbid, both, without a mood stabilizer, they will have problems.  Simple remedy - add a mood stabilizer, or take away the stimulant.  That's it! 

But people are ignorant, and they like to hear "These drugs are turning our children into killers".  "Big Pharm is turning us into addicts". 

I mean, God love her, one woman was actually telling me I could go off my medication if I "did it right".  I'm not even angry - I'm just speechless. 

I will die taking this mediction.  I will die, or be raptured, taking this medication.  Because the day I stop shoving lithium, haldol, and wellbutrin into my mouth is the day I'm dead or raptured. 

People find me a likable person, precisely because I am taking those drugs. 

It's not even about me: it's, as I told a driver "It's about all the people around me".  They have a right to peace and stability.  I have an obligation to provide that for them. 

Without my meds, I am an obsessed, paranoid, dark, depressed, self-injurous, out-of-control maniac. 

1 comment:

icebear said...

the responsibility we have to be a decent person isn't for our benefit only, its also for the people around us and who have to deal with our attitudes