Saturday, February 16, 2013

Dr Problem

Years ago, Ron majored in psychology because he wanted to help people.  He dropped out of the program because he realized a lot of them didn't want to get better. 

He used to enjoy playing "Dr Problem" - tell me your problem and I'll give you some advice, help you work through it.  It was actually a gripe of mine for years, he'd come home after 12 hours at work and spend his free time talking to friends on the phone. 

Happily, we have gotten to the point where instead of needing advice on how to deal with Ron, I am asking him for advice on how to deal with others. 

So, I talked to him.  He is a good listener and often hears what I'm not saying. 

"Heather" he told me "It sounds like you feel this person is saying you're too stupid to make your own decisions.  That they are saying they know your body better than you do." 

Yes.  That was exactly it.  [The aspartame thing again, now, in addition to making me bald - which you have all clearly seen from my video blogs, it will also make me blind. -rolleyes-]

I'm glad I picked him. 

2 comments:

icebear said...

i'm assuming if anyone said something directly to you, it was in a PM?

other than that, i must have missed it.

inform yourself with whatever sources you trust, listen to your doctor, every case is individual...

the aspartame controversy is a minor thing, don't sweat the small stuff.

:)

Heather Knits said...

It wasn't that anyone said anything, it was just the whole tone of the posts. "You don't know aspartame makes you bald?" The mods deleted it, but the last I saw the "aspartame causes macular degeneration" post was still alive. That kind of stuff - completely false. It's all bunk science. Reputable science has proven it is safe. If it made people bald, I would look like Ron. If it made people blind, I'd be blinder than Ron. I just hate people who come off "you don't know anything you ignorant sot, so I will have to school you". I never do that, ever. I pray to God she is not doing any witnessing. It is calling me ignorant. It is insulting the brain God gave me, and my ability to do my own research and make my own decisions. It is apparent to me the people being "quoted" are all selling alternative sweeteners, as well.

Now, having said all that I am rather cranky because I had to stop my antidepressant for a week, so I could take cold medication without a fatal interaction.

It was very nice to vent to Ron, be heard, and get feedback. Reminds me of the good old days. God is working on him.