Friday, February 1, 2013

A trip to the thrift store

Last night, Ron asked me if I needed any trips.  I told him I could use a ride up to 1960, so I could run to the thrift store. 

Maybe, I proposed, he could make a trip to the Starbucks and we could have coffee, then he could go home and leave me.  He said that sounded fine, and made the trip. 

I slept OK last night, but I had sad dreams and woke up depressed.  It is always horrific to realize Ron has a horrible illness that will bite me, chew me, maim me, if it can.  That while, 99.5% of the time, these days, he has it under control, for .5% of the time, he doesn't and I need to hide from my husband.  Emotionally.  Physically. 

That's really sad.  I'm human, of course that hurts. 

It also hurt to realize that what I see as normal, is seen by others as horrifying abuse on me.  That was an ugly wake up, let me tell you.  I know some readers object; but a real life person who knows us, sees us, well.   I found it shocking. 

I kept thinking, "You should have seen him a couple years ago".  It's no wonder I got so fat, stuffing it all down, along with copious amounts of sugar. 

I hit the snooze a couple times, discouraged.  Then I took my shower.  I was happy to see the "hair ends treatment" I've been using really does help with tangles.  It was very easy to brush and wash my hair today.  Nice. 

I didn't have the energy to put in another treatment, so I used the spray "reconstructor" I bought the other day.  I just misted it and combed it in.  Easy to use.  Only a small amount of fragrance.  If I were fighting a migraine, I would use it.  It's also good for a "fighting depression" application. 

I have 2, wide tooth combs, and they work great.  Glad I got them.  Glad they were cheap! 

Then I sat in my chair and faced a decision.  I had bought some over the counter diet pills.  4 of them.  In a plastic wrapper.  At the Dollar Store. 

Of course I want faster weight loss.  I want to wake up tomorrow with a trim, fit, body, weighing 145 pounds. 

I had read the label, it had caffeine and herbs generally recognized as safe.  Nothing that would interact.  I had bought some diet things online and found out they would interact with the lithium.  Ron was whining about being fat so I gave them to him.   They're safe, mainly vitamins, but they have uva ursi which is a no. 

I figured, I'm depressed.  It won't hurt. 

It didn't, really.  But as I felt rather disoriented getting ready to cross a very busy street - I kept feeling like I was falling backward, I decided I wouldn't be taking anymore.  Actually, I told God "If you get me across the street I'll throw them all out, or give them to Ron" (who is interested). 

So, I took them, at home.  Eventually our ride came.  I brought my backpack and an empty tote bag, and was pleased to note the backpack fit into the tote bag. 

Ron and I had our coffee (I need to put that into Fitday), and I got a kolache (I need to put that into fitday).  Later on, Ron wanted a Subway breakfast thing, so I got him one. 

"I wouldn't get it again" he said. 

His ride came and he left.  I asked the driver to take good care of him.  She agreed. 

I went off to Family Thrift Center.  If you live in Houston, on a budget, you must go to the Family Thrift Center.  They have them everywhere.  Just in my "neck" of the woods, they have two along SH 249. 

They have an understandably strict policy about bags - behind their counter.  I understand.  We had a guy shoplift off Ron's cart, while Ron was stocking a machine, from his wheelchair.  He could see the blind man in a wheelchair, right in front of him...

So I happily handed over my bag without being asked.  It was in the tote bag, after all. 

I took a look at the dresses - mostly formal, and more in the $15 range.  I have a dressy dress that currently fits.  I probably have some leeway to wear it as I size down.  I don't need that for church. 

The average woman at church wears jeans and a dressy top - a nice sweater or something.  I have jeans, I have a black broomstick skirt - but I did need some dressier tops. 

Before we left the house, I did an inventory.  I had a 20W jeans.  I have jeans with a faded tag but are slightly smaller than the 20W.  I have cargo shorts I was able to wear for years - no worries on that.  I have knit shorts and 2 knit capris.  I have a pair of 18 jeans.  Then I have some 12 and 14's. 

Kind of a gap there, huh? 

Glad I checked, I would have thought I needed jeans - but the weather will warm up while I'm still in those sizes.  Happily, by the time winter hits I'll be in a 14 or something.  I can dream.  It won't be a 20W, I promise you that. 

I couldn't find a lot of capris.  I headed for the back. 

Years ago, we had Tropical Storm Allison.  I've written about it.  I was stuck in front of a TV for days on end, watching the coverage as Houston drowned. 

I remember watching 2 larger women walking into a shelter, carrying boxes and bags.  "What have you got there?" asked the perky reporter. 

"We got big women clothes!  It's OK, ya'll big girls come and get them.  We got 'em now."  (they were white)   I thought it was great, and the poor reporter was speechless. 

So, I thought to myself "Big Women Clothes" as I headed for the special section in the back.  The store had tons of coats.  It's been a very mild winter for Houston. 

In short order, I found 3 great tops.  Two are button down tops, very cute.  One is a designer brand - I didn't notice until I got home.  Linen-cotton blends. 

Ron and I seldom go to the mall - when we did, I remarked how every women's clothing store had coral everywhere.  "Coral is it this year" I told him. 

One of my tops has some coral in it.  I'll be fashionable.  I care little for fashion but other people will like it. 

I felt like God laid them in my lap so I might as well get them.  They were in the $4 range, after the extra markdown. 

I also found a cute black tunic top, with white and silver floral embroidery.  It will go great with my jeans, or maybe a broomstick skirt. 

I hate worrying about or fussing with clothes.  However, I've noticed God always seems to put the clothes in my way. 

I looked around, didn't find anything else.  I wondered if the kitten would enjoy the rabbit fur coat. 

I paid, got my bag, and left.  I walked to the bus stop.  I was feeling pretty queasy and figured it was probably a good idea to just go home. 

However, a drunk man was hogging the entire bus stop, sleeping.  Then I remembered our first driver of the day raving about bedbugs and decided maybe I didn't want to sit in there anyway. 

I'm going to be real. 

I didn't know his issues or what, so I left him asleep.  Normally my bus drivers stop automatically but when they see someone sleeping they pass them up.  I raised a hand and she stopped. 

I talked to Mom about last night, and got her input. 

Then I got off and went to the other bus stop.  I had seen my connecting bus about a quarter mile down the road.  It's not often I get a great transfer like that. 

Ron told me once, I should call when I'm on my way home, so I did.  He had clearly been sleeping. 

I had a good walk home from the bus stop.  I was happy I only got the 4 things I sought.  That goes to medication. 

Before, wow, I would have blown my whole budget on everything purple in the store, regardless of size. 

I came in, horribly queasy, and remembered wikipedia saying that nausea while taking lithium can be related to dehydration.  I drank some decaf diet soda, boy was I happy to see that in the fridge. 

I drank that, put my clothes in the wash, and then laid down for my nap.  I had wierd dreams again, and got up. 

I'm just finishing up the laundry and all. 

Ron and I work tomorrow, but we have Sunday off. 

1 comment:

Jillian said...

RE: diet pills....Please don't go that route. Those things can be very dangerous, even if the ingredients appear to be "safe", they do bad things to your metabolism. Stick with the healthy eating plan, and the weight will come off..might take a bit longer, but it will, and will be worth it.