Sunday, February 17, 2013

Let me be myself

"I just wrote a post about you."  I told Ron "You are a wonderful listener.  One of my readers asked me if you knew about all the nice things I wrote about you, and I had to say I wasn't sure."  Ron grumbled a little. He has a hard time with compliments sometimes. 

When I was given this computer, it had music.  One of the songs "Let me be myself".  I like it.  One thing I really like about it: Ron does let me be myself. 

Years ago, he used to try to conform me to a standard he felt was "normal".  Sometimes I felt like a lump of play-doh.  I used to get so frustrated and angry. 

I am well aware, I can do everything to be the best I can, socially, but every now and then I'm going to say the wrong thing and get that look.  Ron used to want to "perfect" me, but it's impossible for a normal person, I think, much less somone with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  I read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and that helped tremendously. 

Can you imagine how the "typical" guy, with God issues, would have felt about my first Bible Handout?  Much less the second?  Next month is 3 years of on-the-corner Bible Handouts.  Ron just said "OK, that's your thing.  Have fun and don't get killed."  Last year he started coming along. 

I'm not a good housekeeper.  The house is generally a mess, clean, but a mess.  Ron would rather have a perfectly organized sanctuary, but he is understanding of my limitations.  He seldom yells at me over the housekeeping, and does what he can to help (taking out the trash, cleaning the litter box). 

Let's get to the insanity: living with an insane person with no medication for 14 years.  Ron's getting some kind of crown in heaven for that!   He has always been very supportive and understanding of the price I pay, in side effects, and does whatever he can to help. 

That's a pretty big deal. 

I won't go into the details, but I also see God working on Ron with the drinking.  The important thing for me: don't make my happiness dependent on his alcohol level.  Be happy, regardless.  Trust God. 

The God who made the universe, Mighty To Save, can handle my issues. 

No comments: