Thursday, February 28, 2013

Living Hell

I don't usually feel "crippled", but every now and then something reminds me. 

A friend of mine recently lost her car in an accident.  It was the family's only car.  Everyone is OK.  She is having a very hard time adapting to life without a car.  She finds it very difficult to go to the grocery store.  "It's so hard to carry the bags on the bus" she remarked. 

Yeah.  It is. 

I suggested that maybe God is using this so she will help other people without cars, when her own vehicle is restored.  I like to think God can use trials that way. 

I just had to think how my friend would find my life.  Paratransit, stuffed in a backseat next to someone I've never met.  Riding around for hours on end, having to listen to talk radio I detest, because it's the "Morning show" and it's their vehicle, not mine.  Having to ride for up to 2 hours, each trip, because that's what they can do.  Dealing with the amorous advances of a slow fellow going to his workshop everyday, until it got so bad Ron started changing our trips.

I have to walk a half mile to the bus stop every time I ride.  I'm just glad it's only half a mile, and a decent neighborhood.  I thank God for my blessings in transportation, even when I got mugged at the bus stop. 

But I have to think my friend would find my life a living hell.   

1 comment:

Jillian said...

I totally hear you.
I took the bus until I was 24, then ended up without a car again when I was around 29 and went bankrupt, until just last year.
People would always say they didn't know how I survived without a car, like it was an extension of their body, or something.
It certainly is more convenient with a car and I hated the bus, but a car is not necessary. My mom and sister don't have a license or a car and get along just fine.