Sunday, February 10, 2013

Decided not to dwell

When the medication is on board, I think the sinus thing isn't as bad as a migraine.  Then it wears off and I think they're even. 

I will be so glad when I'm better.  Ron caught what I have, but not severely.  He just coughs a little and a sneeze now and then. 

I need to make some tea.  I feel jittery from the sinus medication.  Achy and clogged.  Lethargic and miserable. 

BUT. I have decided not to dwell, so this blog will be devoted to some happy memories. 

When I was little, my family had a cat.  My mother was very ill with bipolar and alcohol.  I was severely neglected.  However, my cat used to get in the crib with me and keep me company, groom me, let me slobber on her and grab her, and set gentle boundaries by getting out of the crib, and arm's reach, when needed.  I sure loved that cat. 

After my mother left, I loved flying on the plane to see Grandma in El Paso. 

When I was a little older, my Dad put me in daycare (as soon as he could).  I loved daycare, hated leaving Daddy, but loved the activities.  When I had my 4th birthday, the bakery asked me what I'd like on my birthday cake.  I told them, "An airplane".  They laughed at me, but I was insistent.  I wanted an airplane on my cake.  Dad insisted.  I got my airplane cake and Daddy even came to daycare for my party.  Good times. 

I could go on and on, I might share more. 

Like Ron, in a coma, 2 and a half days after his accident.  He's on life support and the ethics committe wants to take him off.  I'm standing by his bed, 11 at night, with his nurse.  Ron finally responds to commands and she is able to take him off the ventilator.  The doctors were shocked.  The ethics committee lost their chance to take him off life support, because he did it himself.

I can also go into the awfulness of realizing Ron had forgotten me, when he woke up.  I never existed.  If I tried to tell him he screamed at me to leave him alone, liar.  Some of you (grin) may say I missed my chance there.  I prayed about it and told Ron I was "Someone who loved you, and when you get better I'm going to take you home and spoil you rotten."  He liked that, even if he still kept asking who I was.  I finally went home to get clean clothes, take a nap and shower, and the hospital called.  I could hear yelling in the background.  It was Ron.  Shouting my name.  "I want Heather!  Where's Heather?"  I told him I'd be there once he finished dinner (why they called - he wouldn't eat unless I fed him), and he ate every bit, even the yogurt, which he hates. 

I could also go into the first moment I saw Bubba - I lost my heart to him.  I remember how honored I felt when he let me pet him for the first time.  How honored I feel when he climbs in bed with me, even when I'm sick and couhing. 

Yup.  Gotta focus on the good times, drink my hot tea with lemon and honey, and get ready for a nice hot compress. 

No comments: