Saturday, December 4, 2010

A picture's worth a thousand

That is Ron.  That is the kind of day he is having.  Worries.

The flesh you see is the back of his neck.  His head is bowed.  He had no idea I took the photo, but it paints a good photo of his burdens. 

Needless to say, he was NOT in a video mood.  In spite of Ron's burdens, I had a good day. 

I woke up at 5.  I was ready to do my God Time and all, but pretty tired.  Ron said "no work today; we'll go tomorrow."    OK!   I went back to bed. 

I woke up a couple of hours later, with a headache.  I get really tired of the headaches.  Sometimes I wonder if something is growing in my head.  An aneurysm or tumor, about to burst.  Well, it would be quick and ought to enable me to be an organ donor.  I'd like to; and my family know. 

Mr Bubba came in and I tried to get a photo of him with the webcam.  He was lying by my foot.   My computer is not letting me upload.  No, it's not letting me do it.  Anyway, he was lying on the floor by my foot all cute and plump. 

I fixed a large batch of pumpkin pudding and did my God Time.  I went outside for a while and worked in the garden, a couple of hours.  It looks a lot better.  I plan to extend my garden beds to make a 21 foot long bed (by 4 feet deep), instead of 3, 4x4 plots.  A lot of edging!  Besides, the soil in the "paths" has been improved by all my organic additions to the garden beds.  I weeded quite a bit and laid down cardboard on the "clean" areas.  Nothing can sprout under the cardboard.  I need to actively fork up the big clumps of bermuda grass; but the soil's a bit dry for that. 

I have clay soil.  There's a "soil test" where you ball up the soil in your hand, unfold your hand, and poke it.  If it falls apart on it's own, it's sandy.  If it releases with a gentle poke, you have loam.   If it remains firm, it's clay.  Well, I made a clay-ball and threw it against the fence.  It stuck!  I've been working for 5 years now and the soil's great in the beds.  I have plenty of good amendments to add when I finish weeding; chopped leaves, shredded bark, etc.  They'll rot down nicely and contribute to the soil. 

I plan to grow a few greens this winter.  I have a Red Russian Kale going from last winter; I'd like to get more.  They seem quite tenacious.  I also saved plenty of collard seed.  The collards did fantastic in the worst of our weather, so I plan to grow a few more.  I only need 4 or so; but the companies only sell them in NINE packs.  9 collards are way to many for me.  I'm the only one eating them. 

I garden organically, adding plenty of natural stuff to the soil (plenty of cow manure, too, the stuff that comes in the plastic bag).  Bubba and Frosty added plenty of "nitrogen" - so I'll never grow a root crop.  Ew. 

I should also mention that the homeowner from about 1990-2001 raised pit bulls in the backyard; plenty of nature added to the soil.  My soil test came up 'Unusually fertile".  When I was digging up the garden beds I found all kinds of things.  Plastic styrofoam, big chunks of concrete (I could make a nice rock garden if so inclined), a metal chain, and a dog collar.  Happily that's all I found. 

When Frosty died I didn't even consider bringing him home.  It would have been too wierd to have him out back; and I worried about shrines and all.  He was Mama's boy and I loved him deeply, but the spirit is with Jesus now.   His body went into a mass grave somewhere up north. 

I try to add gypsum and greensand on a regular basis, my Calcium and Potassium are pretty low.  Everything grows insanely well in the garden, so they must be happy. 

Anyway, it was good to get outside in the sun.  What's your weather like?  I had the mid 70's, humid, sunny, and warm.  A cold front is coming, though.  That's one reason vegetable crops can be tricky in Houston; the weather is so changeable.  I enjoyed the exercise and only stopped when I started getting blisters. 

I checked the mail.  Nothing bad, nothing good either. 

I have a really strong feeling; I desperately want some Children's New Testaments for my Christmas handout.  Can't afford them; but I have the strongest feeling God will provide.   If He wants me to hand them out; this may be an "Adults only" handout. 

I aim to please God, so if I get them, I'll hand them out.  If not, I will happily hand out my "Invitations".  I secretly hope the weather is terrible; what a good witness that would be - me in the rain or cold, handing out Bibles with a big grin. 

I took my nap and had a good one.  My neighbor had the Happy Family Hour - they like to kick the ball around.  I think it's great; it's important for kids to have quality time with Daddy.  I slept through the whole thing. 

Now it's blog time, then God Time, call Mom & Dad, and then maybe a movie on TV. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really an eye opener for me.

- Robson