Saturday, December 25, 2010

It's all God today

I forgot that the guy next door "usually" has a very loud and rambunctious Christmas party.  It never mattered that much before. 

Not only was it loud, they were all drunk and talking loudly, turning the music up and down suddenly; right as I was falling asleep.  I came this close (pinching fingers together) to going next door in my nightgown and bathrobe and saying "I have to GO TO WORK AT 5 AM TOMORROW!" 

Instead, I asked Ron (surprisingly sober) to call the police, on a couple of occasions. 

Today I mentioned that alcohol was "onboard" next door; that it turned our normally sweet and considerate neighbor into an obnoxious and ignorant fool.  Ron got very defensive and acted as if I had attacked HIS drinking. 

We will be running errands with out driving friend next week.  Most of them work errands, on my day off.  I have told both of them, repeatedly, that I will not buy Ron alcohol.  Last time they tricked me into "helping" [he pulled up outside the store, and said "I'll wait here"].  I plan to send the guy a text message and say "I am not helping Ron kill himself with alcohol.  Unless you plan on helping him buy it while I sit in the car, don't go." 

Ron had mentioned yesterday to his old friend, that he as "almost" out of vodka, as he was down to his last 2-liter bottle.  The most consistent advice I have gotten over the years re: Ron's drinking all says "DON'T HELP HIM GET IT".   I intend to be very clear on that; informing Ron and his in advance. 

It's hard to see someone who helps Ron buy booze as my friend.  He's never gone "buggo" without alcohol. 

Being the mess he is, someone has to help him get it.  It won't be me. 

He kept going on about how much he liked the ($10 for 2 liters) flavored wine mixer he had supposedly bought for the repairman.  I told him he couldn't afford to drink that stuff; and it was loaded with half an ounce of sugar for a FOUR ounce portion.  I'm guessing he has 2-3 portions at a time. 

He kept asking me if Walmart "had mixers".  I told them, if they did, they would be the sugar laden kind.  "I get tired of drinking vodka" he said.  I told him the liquor store would have sugarfree mixers. 

I will not be helping him buy them, though. 

Anyway, I got up.  I'm tired and feeling a little persecuted, what with the constant drinking and the party and all the rest of my life.  I had gotten maybe 4-5 hours of broken sleep. 

Ron started shouting that I was being "too negative" and to "go back to bed".  I attempted to tell him, that's how I feel with you.  He shouted something rude about "go take your pills" and stumbled off, slamming a door. 

It would be easy to feel like I shouldn't do the handout.  But it's not about me, it's about God reaching people while I'm around.  I just have to show up.  God's going to do all the work. 

Not only that, if I was going to be ineffective today; I wouldn't have the persecution!  Bad things must be terrified! 

No comments: