Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Mode Button

My favorite snapshot of the day; I am literally lying on the floor next to our new vending machine.  I ask Ron to stay away as I'm "Trying to find the mode button, while lying down on the floor, and I don't want you to run over my leg with your wheelchair." 

Yeah. 

It was an interesting day.  We went to the wholesale warehouse, it was busy.  I could not buy all the merchandise I wanted; sadly.  I made do with a few basics.  With my own money, I bought a case of "Japanese style peanuts" because they were only $3 and a very good food cost item.  If they sell; we can get more.  If not, I'll put them in the Spanish Driver Candy. 

We took the stuff to work and I got the handcart.  Since it's a 24/7 operation; we have 3 shifts.  The night shift and day shift see us frequently.  I don't like to go in on third shift. 

Why?  Because everyone in the world had a complaint.  People really still think I take care of every vending machine in the building!  They just walked up and started complaining! 

Nice to see you, too!  Ugh.  If they want to see more of me, that's a lousy way to do it.  I got more complaints in 10 minutes than I do in a week from the other two shifts! 

I stocked my merchandise and started working up the wholesaler inventory (What have we got?  And what do we need?), so I can write up and call in the delivery.  One day I'll post a job description.  Pretty detailed. 

I went to the bathroom, and on my way back I saw Ron's boss and the movers with a vending machine on a pallet jack.  Yay! 

I cannot understand verbal directions, I need to read it.  People have a really hard time understanding and ALWAYS try to TELL me, when I'd rather get kicked!  They think if they tell me enough, I'll get it, and I never do. 

I asked if it had a manual.  He THOUGHT so; but I could just ASK the other guys, and they would be happy to TELL me.  [shudder]  Ah.  No. 

They set it up and moved our old machine.  I put the inflatable Santa on the new machine, and moved the small tree with the old machine.  They had been together.  After reminding me, several more times, I could just ASK and they'd TELL, he left. 

I looked at Ron.  Ron looked at me.  "So, you're going to figure it out on your own, right?'  You betcha, Ron. 

I looked all over.  No manual.  We tried to figure out the coin mechanism.  Ron dislodged it.  I had to put it back.  OK, Ron doesn't touch the coin mech.  While resetting it; I found the "manual" a 5x7 inch sticker inside the machine. 

Various buttons are pressed in conjunction with the MODE button to set prices, test vend, etc.  Hm.  Where is the Mode button? 

I looked all over.  I finally spotted the circuit board; the Mode button is purported to be on the board.  Which is at floor level.  On the door.  Hence, I had to lie down on the floor and look at the inside of the door, to find the mode button, which was hidden very well. 

Once I had the Mode button I was pretty well set.  Of course some prayer as I'm figuring it out. 

I had to figure out how to load the change banks. 
I had to figure out how to load the machine.
I had to figure out how to set prices. 
I had to SET prices. 

I did it all.  Then I fixed the old soda machine, which they had moved improperly.  It was very tippy, I had to get behind the machine and readjust it.  Ron wanted to talk as I was trying to plug it in. 

I can't answer questions, and work.  I can do one or the other and having to stop the work and answer the questions, in Ron's words, "Makes me sound mad".  I'm not, but it's hard to just switch off. 

Yes, I know NORMAL has no problem, or so I'm told. 

No comments: