Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spare them pain

My husband has nerve disease.  Any kind of standing and walking is very painful for him. 

To compensate, I've tried to make his life as painless as possible.  When we go to the store, as soon as we get out of the cab I find him a comfortable place to sit.  At work, I bring a wheelchair to the bus stop so he doesn't have to walk into the building.  He sits in the wheelchair at work as much as possible. 

After all, isn't that what we do for those we love?  Spare them pain? 

That's what I thought until he started having trouble standing up, or even standing at all!  His doctor told him he was too sedentary, and putting his mobility at risk!  If I kept "helping" him, pretty soon he might not be able to stand at all! 

This morning, I was battling depression; again.  My illness is well controlled but I will always suffer.  I wondered to myself why it's necessary for me to hurt like this. 

God reminded me of my husband.  I must look pretty mean now, "Making" him get up and walk as far as possible, in spite of the fact that it causes him pain.  I love him ENOUGH to do this; when the "easy" thing would be to spare him pain. 

God loves me enough to make ME walk, on painful and bleeding feet, through this life; because it's working for my greater good.  He can see the strength, endurance, and faith that develops from these dark midnight walks over gravel. 

I don't; but I know God loves me FAR more than I love my husband.  Anything He sends me is a gift. 

Give me a strong back to carry my burdens, Lord. 

2 comments:

Heidi said...

has Ron tried or been offered vit b 12 injections? did they check his levels ..I have patients with horrible foot pain from neuropathy and they do so well on these shots ..you can give them at home ..it is very very cheap and I know I should not give medical advice in a blog comment but you are so sweet to share you rlives with us that I thought maybe this little thing would not be so bad....it is just friendly over the fence advice I would offer if we lived near each other ..my father also gets B12 shots for his feet and says it has helped him so much ..he used to tell me it felt like bees were stinging him constantly
so there you have it ...love sent ..thanks for being there day after day ..you are as I tell you all the time ..a rock of a woman who has over come and found insight into a rough road in life
take good care
love and hugs
Heidi

Heather Knits said...

I'll have him ask during his next checkup. It certainly can't hurt. I tried giving him some B-50 when he first got sick and he said it made it worse, but maybe just the b-12. After all, I have faith this doc won't give him anything damaging.