Sunday, November 21, 2010

It's never a good time for eardrops - It's not HIS blood

I knew today would be interesting.  We had an early morning trip to Foodtown (I have figured out when they discount the hamburger meat to $1 a pound), a trip home, and then later on a planned trip with the wheelchair and the bus. 

I'm not feeling very bloggy today.  I'm sorry if my post seems stale.  Probably still a little depressed. 

We went to Foodtown.  I briefly considered buying some meat, but decided 5 pounds of cooked meat in the freezer was more than adequate.  I did get myself a small pot roast, we plan to donate blood later on this week and I need to ensure I've got plenty of protein and iron.  I also got some soda, powdered drink mix, a few cans of tuna and a jar of mayo, etc.  I spent about $30. 

Ron was thrilled to hear they still had the massively discounted lunch buckets.  He loves them; so he got an additional 20!  I was glad I brought my big tote bag!  We also got more Cup-A-Noodles for work; we sell them out of the cold food vending machine. 

A lot of junk, and not much for me!  [grin]  We had a good trip home. 

This morning, during my God Time, I noticed Bubba-cat had earmites.  He's been hanging out with some stray, I guess.  His ears felt hot and he kept wanting me to rub them, then he'd scratch away.  Frosty (white cat, now with Jesus) used to have ear mites all the time. 

So, later on, I got out the eardrops.  Poor old Bubs, all cozy in my bed.  I grabbed him by his scruff and immediately applied eardrops.  The sensation must be horrible, he put up quite a struggle. 

I've had several cats in my life.  Some cats, when you have to medicate them, truly want to hurt you.  They want to bite, scratch, and maim.  Baby Girl was like that (she was blind in one eye, and required eyedrops).  Bubby is a GOOD boy, he was fighting to get away from me and the dropper, but did not want to cause me harm.  He was very clear. 

Outweighing him by 8 times, and Bub's hampered by his desire NOT to harm me, I "won".  The eardrops were applied.  He was quite indignant for a while.  I felt terrible about getting him during a nap, but last time I tried to lure him with a can of "Tender Beef" feast and he still hasn't forgiven me for violating the sanctity of the foodbowl.  

It's never a good time for eardrops, or antibiotic, or whatever.  Never.  Kitty is never going to say "I won't mind at all if you dose me on the couch, but don't dose me on the floor!"  [snort]  You just have to grab them and do it. 

I get to be the bad guy due to Ron's blindness, etc.  He tried to dose a cat, once, in about 1995.  I was in the shower, kitty needed his antibiotic (he had kidney stones).  Ron decides "I'm only blind, I can do this.  I just grab him with one hand and use the other to put the pill down his throat!" 

This was back before we discovered the joys of the medicine dropper - a quick squirt down the throat.  So, Ron grabs Kitty. 

I heard male screams, cat yowlings, and an ominious thump that never WAS explained.  I ran out of the shower.  Ron was crouched over the cat.  The cat's head is covered in blood! 

I was horrified!  "Ron, HE'S BLEEDING!"   Ron looked up at me, snarling the words, "IT'S NOT HIS BLOOD, IT'S MINE!"  Oh, OK, I replied happily. 

The cat, while fighting, had clawed the corner of Ron's lip.  As he leaned over the cat, the blood dripped down on the cat's head.  Ron was OK. 

"I got him, though" he told me grimly.  "He took his medicine!"  The cat gazed at me, in that quiet, superior, feline manner.  I gazed back, at the blue tablet lying on the floor by Kitty's feet. 

"Yup" I replied, as Ron held the icepack on his lip, "You did."   I didn't tell Ron for years.  Needless to say, I'm the bad guy. 

Cat needs to go in the carrier?  I do it.  Kitty gets carried into the vet?  Me.  Kitty needs drops?  I administer them.  I know Bub's understands I love him enough to do this, and he has already, graciously, forgiven me. 

So, I dosed Bubs.  We'll see if he hangs out with me during my evening God Time.  We planned our trips for tomorrow, and got ready to head out. 

Ron got in his wheelchair and off to the bus stop.  He always acts like it's a big deal for me to push him somewhere, it's not.  I told him I could use the workout anyway. 

We went to Radio Shack and got some plugs.  Then off to a grocery store, and then a bus.  We waited a bit for the bus.  The bus came, and off pushing again.  We had a great time talking. 

At one point, I started singing "Stand up, Stand up for Jesus" as I pushed Ron up a steep incline.  My international readers will appreciate this; it's easy to use a wheelchair in America. 

In the 1970's, activists ensured that equal access became a right for every American.  All sidewalks have ramps, to enable passage of people using wheelchairs, walkers, strollers, etc.  It was pretty smooth and easy to push Ron from one location to another, even within our subdivision.  I am not letting out any secrets to say we don't live next to the bus stop!  I have to push him there! 

Houston is not well known for great sidewalks or even as a pedestrian friendly city, but it works for us.  We got Ron a snack, and then Starbucks.  We left when we finished, and had a good trip home. 

I handed out a lot of candy and such.  Good. 

I'm pleasantly tired and will probably sleep well tonight.  I accidentally squirted ear medicine all over myself (after dosing Bubba), so I took my shower already.  All I need now is a snack, and my God Time, and I'm ready for bed. 

It was a busy day!  Tomorrow we work and run some errands, more on that later. 

2 comments:

Heidi said...

omg I can see the whole thing with the cats!

seriously cats know and do hold grudges ..my dogs are both food driven so giving them a pill is to toss it in the air followed by a bit of cheese ..they try to catch it faster than the other so both will swallow a pill just because ..they are little kids!
I love cats .we are wating for the right one to find us ..my husband is allergic to some but we have found some types do not bother him so we will home someone who needs us soon

my birds on the other hand..if you try to get them to do ANYTHING they do not want to they scream bloody murder like you are killing them!!! (rescue parrots!)


you sound better OOOXXX glad ..my wave went out as well ..you are right life is not for wimps is it?

Heather Knits said...

"They" claim that white female cats have the least allergy potential. Black male cats (like mine!) are the most "allergic". I'll ask God to send you the RIGHT cat. I had some odd ones in my day.