Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I was wrong!

Remember yesterday, Ron was annoyed when he began making the trips.  I didn't want to argue so I told him "Do whatever you want".  I was CERTAIN he was going to make me wait until Monday to get paid. 

I.  Was.  Wrong!  When I checked the trips last night on my computer, he had work, bank, home.  I didn't give him enough credit!

This morning, I made sure very bit of trash was out at the curb, even those nasty leftovers.  The people next door (the dog owners) have been leaving their trash can on the sidewalk, and for the last week and a half have had a stuffed, non-regulation (the waste company gave us a 95 gallon can that rolls, and is hooked by remote and flung into the trash truck.  If it isn't regulation, they don't take it) trash can. 

Today, AFTER we left, they put it on front of our house.  I'm medicated, so I found it amusing.  Of course it wasn't taken.  So *I* put it back in front of their house, and had Ron call the homeowners association. 

City of Houston has NO deed restrictions.  Well, a few basic ones like no livestock, etc.  But the County (safe to say we DO NOT live Downtown) is "Anything Goes".  I have seen junkyards next to very nice looking homes, and pastures next to elementary schools. 

Overall, I like it.  But because you don't want some guy using power tools all night and breeding dozens of vicious dogs on a subdivision lot, I think a HOA (homeowners association) is a good idea, and deed restrictions.  I don't think I will violate security if I give a few:
No more than 2 pets per household (the cat lady clause)
No parking on the grass in front of the houses. 
Maintain the yard, front and back. 
The garage must remain a garage.  [The worst neighborhoods have all converted their garages to studio apartments and they look AWFUL.] 

Ron and I reviewed the restrictions before we even LOOKED at a house.  I think we were exceptionally well informed homebuyers.  We agreed we liked what we heard, they weren't telling us the house had to be beige, in fact we still have the orange house we bought, but it was "decent". 

We have found the HOA very useful with the various tenants on the street.  Up all night partying?  Notify the police, and the HOA, who contacts the landlord, who wants to keep the home "nice".  No more parties. 

Kids climbing over our gate and looking into our windows?  HOA, and they told the landlord. 

Recently we have made probably the most calls regarding the dog people; the holes in the fence, the dog on our property as a result, endless nighttime barking, etc.  This time, Ron simply informed the HOA of the trash can issue (which now contains wrappers to raw meat, etc.  NO WONDER Bubba is bringing me dead mice.). 

He asked them to please have "Bob" come by and do an inspection. No more. 

Mrs. Bob hates animals, all animals.  When she finds they have the dog in the house all the time... and sees the trash lying around the yard.. and the full reeking trash can sitting up in the front yard... it'll be fine.  She went ballistic when she found out they weren't mowing the yard; I could hear her yelling IN MY HOUSE. 

I can happily say they are NOT slumlords; they take pride in having a nice place. 

Better to let them be the bad guy.  It's kind of sad, other than being "trashy" and the dog issue, they are actually pretty decent neighbors.  The family man next door on the other side loves to play outside with his kids right as I'm going to bed at 7 PM on a delivery eve.  [laugh]  I remind myself children need a loving father; and if it gets really bad I have a pullout on the other side of the house. 

So, as I was walking back to the house this morning in my plastic slip-on shoes (they are great for a quick trip outside, I even gave the navy ones to Ron, and he is very protective), my left arch began cramping horribly.  I like to believe I have a pretty high threshold for pain; and I'd give it a good 6-7. 

I tried stomping my foot.  ONLY ONCE.  Oh, the cramps invited all their friends over.. horrible spasms in my foot.  Ghastly.  They have persisted on and off all day, OK when I am at rest, but a little active now.  They are particularly bad if I try to walk more than a few yards. 

HOW WILL I DO MY DAYS OUT?  I have NO idea.  You know me, something like this I immediately go to "Spiritual Attack".  I must have made the Bad Things mad, and God gave them permission to knock me down a few pegs.  Ugh. 

Pretty sad when I'm walking along, and Ron's propping ME up.  I think he felt kind of helpless.  I plan to do some home remedies tonight; soaking in some hot water, epsom salts, and lavender oil.  Sure can't hurt. 

I was hobbling around pretty much all day; but I WAS able to work. 

Ron isn't talking about it; but something happened to him.  He has decided to get up and walk as much as possible.  Good.  It about killed him to walk to and from the bathroom today, but I think he's concerned about losing his endurance.  He's a good guy and I think he's really smart to take care of himself.  Go, Ron, go. 

That would have been a good title.  Our first ride was great, our second was very late.  "Theocracy"'s "Mirror of Souls" is 22 minutes long.  If I can hear the whole thing AND "Laying the Demons to Rest" (9 minutes, 47 seconds), I know I am way past my pickup time. 

She finally came.  She was really annoyed about some issues so I helped her "get it out".  We agreed it isn't getting ripped off, it's when they tell you a stupid lie and expect you to believe it, that's offensive and insulting.  She took the wrong exit, then got in the wrong lane, but I got her there.  I hobbled up to the teller and transacted our business. 

I got paid.  They had a guy come in, just sit down, help himself to the coffee, and read a magazine.  I can see why they restricted use on the bathrooms.  Ron didn't know, of course, being blind, so when he asked why they didn't have a public bathroom I said "They get a lot of people who come in and just want to sit in a nice chair and drink up the coffee.  They have to leave to find a bathroom." 

Mr Freebie began shifting around, and I thought perhaps I'd shamed him into leaving (we were there for over half an hour, and he had the typical old, dirty, backpack I associate with panhandlers).  No, he got up and helped himself to MORE free coffee. 

I have to wonder, what, in their head, says it is OK to take from people like that.  Obviously the coffee is for people who need to deal with accounts; serious business.  Anyway, he was still there when we left 15 minutes after that. 

Our driver was a little stressed when he picked us up.  A very irritable dialysis patient was complaining in the front seat.  He had another pickup, in an hour and a half!  He had been riding for 45 minutes! 

I wanted to laugh at him, and tell him how long we had ridden yesterday.  I had some very unchristian thoughts I won't share. 

I made sure to tell my aunt, during lunch yesterday, I DO NOT WANT DIALYSIS.   Everyone I meet on dialysis is so miserable, and you have to die anyway.  You know me, I do not fear death. 

We finally got home, as the dispatcher was telling Mr Grumpy he would just have to ride.  Personally, if he weren't so hostile, I'd suggest moving his center.  I see dialysis places all over; he could easily move his location from downtown to near his home.  Or do it at home.  I hear people do a lot better on that anyway. 

So, I took my nap after I moved their can back in front of their home, and put my can away.  Bubba was lying near my pillow, but when he saw I was home he moved to the left side of the bed.  After I went to sleep, he moved against me.  What a sweet, sweet, boy.  On his own terms. 

I woke up, Ron is sleeping hard in the bedroom.  Sometimes he falls asleep in a sitting position.  He has told me not to move or disturb him.  It helps his back.  So, I'll leave him. 

Tomorrow, a trip to Foodtown, work, and then the wholesale warehouse.  I will probably buy some more plastic-wrapped meat sticks.  They're a great snack and travel very well. 

I hope my foot is better.  I'll figure out what God wants if it isn't. 

No comments: