Tuesday, November 2, 2010

After this, the bedroom

Last night a cold front rolled in, along with its attendant thunderstorms.  It was really nice.  However, my neighbor and I have a "zero property line" - basically the side of the house is the property line.  They put their trash cans under my eaves, and I kept hearing the dripping!  Ugh.  I plan to move my bed. 

The way the room's situated, I can only have the bed on that wall, so I plan to angle it somewhat and rearrange things.  A lot of picking up involved, but it's trash night, and I can probably throw some of it out and take it to the curb. 

I slept in, my main goals to vote, go to Starbucks, buy some Diet Dr Pepper, and Favorite Dollar.  I had about $20.  I kept reminding myself to get a little extra, and forgot.  I had plenty of fun with the money regardless.  Happily, I got ALL my goals (except for the bedroom re-arrange and some housework). 

I got up, did my God Time, etc., and raided my closet.  I wanted a long-sleeved t-shirt, as it would be windy today. 

After Doc increased my Risperdal last year, I grew a bigger chest.  I used to wear a medium top; but while it fits well everywhere else it has a definite sleazy tightness in the chest area.  [pounding my fist with laughter]  I never, EVER, thought in a MILLION years, I would say "Oh, my chest is too big for that."  I never thought I'd be wearing this capacity undergarment, either!  [blinking in shock]

Guess what?  95% of my long-sleeved t-shirts (about a dozen) are MEDIUMS!  Off to Salvation Army you go... they are all in perfect condition.  I have quite a few books I'm donating, so it'll just make the pickup a little more worthwhile!  No rain at the end of the week, either. 

That also means I do need to pick up some more plain, long-sleeved t-shirts.  Happily Walmart has some.  Maybe we can go on Thursday.  I don't have a lot of clothes, a few dozen short sleeved t-shirts, a couple jeans, a couple capris, a few sweaters.. definitely storing my treasure in heaven.  To my knowledge, no name brands either.  I'm not naked, ripped, or dirty.  I'm happy. 

I went with a lovely purple long-sleeved tshirt.  I also wore my magenta fleece jacket - it was COLD!  Jeans, of course, and my old sneakers with the hole - just in case it did rain. 

I decided it would be more prudent to run my errands, THEN vote on the way home.  The polling place isn't far from the homebound bus stop.

In 2008, I had a terrible time finding the polling place.  I walked around in circles for an hour.  This year, they had signs with big arrows and the word "VOTE".  I made sure to thank the polling people for the signs. 

Ron got up at 11:30, "You're still here?"  Yeah, I told him, just bagging up some candy.  I caught the 12 o'clock bus and fed my bus card $7 I had saved. 

I went to Foodtown and got myself a bag of smoked almonds (drool... so good and low carb... smoked almond flavor!  If you see the Lance brand smoked almonds you HAVE to try them), and a couple 6-packs of Diet Dr Pepper.  As I paid, I realized I had forgotten to get the extra cash!  Ooops!  Like I said, I had fun anyway. 

My motto:  If you can have fun with $5, you'll have a lot of fun with $20. 

I went to the bus stop.  Here comes the bus.  I gave her candy "You always spoil me!"  That's the idea!  [grin]

As I walked across the parking lot, a woman asked me for money.  I gave her a New Testament in a bag with some candy.  She took it!  Good! 

I headed over to Favorite Dollar.  I didn't see a lot in the way of candy, but stocked up on my favorite plastic bags.  I also got those little Mexican Chicles (Mexican gum) to put in the Spanish Driver candy.  I headed over to Big Lots.  Normally I never shop; but they do have some good seasonal candy.  I also got Ron's LED battery-operated Christmas lights for his wheelchair (last year). 

I bought 2 pounds of taffy, which is a real bargain at 2 cents each!  I got a tropical assortment, and some Christmas (which seems to be variations on peppermint).  I considered the Candy Cane Tootsie Roll Pops, but decided the combination sounded utterly revolting.  I also found an old childhood friend, the Charleston Chew minis.  It's a small cardboard box, with little candy bar "pebbles".  I thought they sounded fun, they were about 10 cents a piece (about equivalent to a small name brand chocolate item).  When I was a kid, it was just this enormously long candy bar.  Good eatin'.  I like putting a little nostalgia in the candy now and then. 

Stuffing everything into my backpack, I headed over to Starbucks.  I saw ANOTHER "homeless" (I know he lives in a residential motel).  We chatted, I think he hoped I'd give him money.  I didn't, and he left.  My Dad has worked with the homeless for quite a while, and NEVER give them money; it just goes to the habit. 

Off to the bus stop.  I rode to my usual transfer point and walked over to the polling place.  I thought it was pretty sad, the Democrats had a big sign "Support President Obama!  Vote Democrat!"  Uh.  No. 

No waiting, kind of sad.  They only had a few machines, too. 

I voted mostly Republican; a few Democrat incumbents are doing a good job, and I wanted to vote out Mary Lou Keel.  She allowed a baby rapist/murderer out on parole.  He left the jail and went home with his girlfriend AND HER KIDS.  She revoked his bond when it came out, but that just showed terrible judgement in my book.  I voted Democrat.  I also liked the District Clerk; when I needed an exemption for jury duty the process was painless and no one came to arrest me. 

I voted against one incumbent I feel is an embarrassment to our District.  I voted against them in the last election, too.  If nothing else, the rising percentages ought to make them rethink their policies.  Not a BAD rep, just not someone I'm proud to call "mine". 

UGH.  The governor race; we had the Republican incumbent, vs. the guy who basically allowed a huge tide of illegals to move into our city.  I didn't like either of them, but detested the Democrat more.  So, the incumbent got my vote.  He's not a great guy, but he has kept our economy going and that counts in my book. 

All done.  Time for a celebratory Diet Dr Pepper.  I was a couple miles from home.  I walked. 

Blog, chat with Ron (who thought I had never left the house!  Ha!), and clean and organize the bedroom.  Then maybe take out the trash, "If it needs it". 

No comments: