Saturday, November 6, 2010

Not on the disabled list

Ride with me here, let's see where I go. 

First, a statistic, about 1% of the population has bipolar disorder.  So, in my day-to-day, I often encounter a driver who has a "friend" or family member with it, too.  They ask questions, I answer. 

I say pretty much the same thing to everyone, it's not a big deal, IF YOU TAKE YOUR PILLS.  Take your pills consistently, live a sober lifestyle, and you'll be fine. 

I "could" get disability for my problems, but I never felt it was something God wanted for me.  I know, if He wants me to apply, He will make it clear.  I also have a very strong work ethic right out of the Bible "He who will not work, let him also not eat!"  I can certainly work, and do. 

That's my opinion.  I have a relative on disability for bipolar and other things, but she's out there working when possible and is a loving mom to her kids. 

Where did I leave you?  Ron and I had gone to Foodtown.  I called the water company about the leak, and an All-American young man is out there digging away right now.  If I were single, I'd give him my phone number!  [laugh] 

We went to Starbucks, and came home with the driver.  She told us she left her husband because he objected to her clubbing lifestyle.  She has children.  The last time we saw her, she crowed about the joys of coming home at 2 AM.  Huh.  This time, she was pregnant and Ron asked about her husband, they are back together.  I cringed for the poor fetus, because I just KNOW it has Fetal Alcohol.  I was very careful not to mention FAS, as it's way too late anyway. 

She had "a friend" who is bipolar.  I gave her the usual speech.  Well, how does someone get help without insurance?  I told her about The Clinic.  She shuddered, as I did.  God put it in my head to give her Doc's phone number, so I did. 

"Good" she says.  "I need to get my friend a check"

Meaning, when buddy is diagnosed, apply for disability immediately and live off the check.  Agh.  The sad thing, bipolar disorder does not have to put someone on the disabled list.  They can have a great life.  If they are consistent and give up alcohol and drugs. 

It's when they don't follow the rules, in and out of the hospital (I know Heidi could tell a few tales!), in and out of crisis, and of course completely unable to work. 

Very distressing to me. 

When I got home I took a nap.  I was awakened by a chill and a muscle twitch in my right calf.  A tic basically.  It's a very, very, small price to pay for a good life. 

I don't even know what distressed me so much, in the conversation.  The whole entitlement attitude or the huge Fetal Alcohol bump. 

Disability was meant to keep people, unable to work, in a stable situation so they didn't have to live under the overpass. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,

Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?

JC