Saturday, November 20, 2010

Venial Sin

Poor, dumb, idiot.  They're going to hell and they probably don't even care! 

Who?  [rolleyes]  Whoever broke into my stockroom.  Yup, they're at it again. 

They got rid of the padlock, opened the keylock with their custodial key, and poked around.  Probably more exciting to enter the "Forbidden Zone" than to actually steal anything. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again; we keep very little in the stockroom.  We have sodas, a small amount of chips and cookies, and that's it.  No cash, no candy.  Candy is too expensive - what I buy goes straight into the machines.  From what I can tell, they got a few bags of chips and a couple cans of Dr Pepper. 

I try to envision a mindset where it is OK to take anything like that; to just violate a stockroom and help oneself to the merchandise.  What do they tell themselves that makes it OK?  Do they believe in God, or do they just think "Better grab what I can for myself because when I'm dead that's it"? 

Do they believe in God at all?  Do they think they are breaking His laws?  Does that make it exciting for them?  Or do they think "Because I go to church, tithe, or do a good deed now and then, that cancels this out?"  I don't know.  I feel very, very, sorry for them. 

The Catholic Church used to say stealing less than $20 was a "Venial Sin" and not even worth confession.  God sees things differently, of course. 

I tried to load the online Bible database but it crashed my computer; safe to say you can look up "steal" or "rob" and find a lot about how God hates it, in any amount.  Even assuming we were a big corporation, it's wrong. 

How much worse to steal from 2 people with disabilities!  We work our butts off to make a living.  Who can look at poor blind Ron, in his wheelchair, and say it is alright to steal from him?   My disabilities are not obvious, but equally severe. 

Maybe they think we got some kind of huge settlement from the accident [cue Heather: hysterical laughter].  Yeah, that's why we get up at 2 AM on delivery days.  I don't know; and I don't think I want to ever be in a place where I could understand that mindset. 

I took it surprisingly well.  I got a new padlock, taped a tract onto the door, and put a bag of Driver Candy with Scripture booklet on the door.  Who knows, it might bear fruit. 

All I know, there's a self-entitled dumbass at work, on the Highway to Hell, right now. 

2 comments:

Helen said...

Ugh! I am so sorry, Heather :( What the heck is wrong with people? I am praying for them too. I feel sad that they have gone to so much trouble to get something so trifling. I can't imagine that they were in desperate need of any of the items that they have stolen. It seems so pointless and spiteful.

I am hoping that in time they will recognize their sin and turn to God. Sometimes one has to hit rock bottom before one is able to hear God's voice for the first time. I'm praying that they will be bathed in God's love soon, repent - and give back to the world, more than they have taken so shamelessly.

Bless you for leaving the scriptures and candy for them. Hopefully it will prick their conscience and put them on the right path.

Helen xx

Heather Knits said...

They were absolutely not in need; they make about 50K a year or more. One employee explained: they probably have such a fancy standard of living, they are feeling strained, as the Post Office has made dramatic cuts in overtime. People were accustomed to making an extra few hundred every check.

Ron and I have always lived BELOW our means, and I still continue to think that's the wise choice. I will pray for dummy, whoever they are.

I believe God's word never comes back void; it'll help someone.