Friday, November 26, 2010

I guess I'm used to being a spectacle.

Four years ago this weekend, I taught myself to knit.  I just remembered that; "I Shouldn't Be Alive" marathon, me on the couch, and finally mastering the knit stitch.  I used a gray acrylic heather. 

Since then, I've made a lacy shawl, innumerable hats, 2 garter stitch afghans, fingerless gloves, and a single mitten for Ron.  He only wanted one {shrug}.  Pretty cool, especially considering I had only just started medication for bipolar disorder.  I was only a couple of weeks "out". 

On the one hand, it's incredibly tragic, and on the other, predictably funny.  The neighbor's dog, no shelter, rain, freezing cold, and icy winds.  Tragic.  They don't do anything but feed her, as near as I can tell.  If she gets out, they always seem annoyed when someone brings her back.  I suspect they are watching her for someone, and doing a bad job. 

The Humane people are investigating.  I hope they sieze her and give her a better home. 

So, all my bloggy rantings have come to this: the first cold spell, I threw an old fleece blanket (the Polartec kind) over the fence.  The neighbors are messy and the back yard is pretty cluttered.  As far as I know, doggy still has her blanket.  Today, it's cold, in the 40's, with an icy windchill from the north. 

So what does Heather the Hatchet do?  I got a cardboard box, a large one, and tore off the shipping label.  Then I put it over the fence, on it's side, so doggy can lie in the box out of the wind.  [snort]  I'm a real bitch!  Predictably funny: the girl who got sent home from school - distraught over the dying sparrow caught in the air conditioner unit, can't let an animal suffer if she can help it.  Even if the animal DRIVES HER NUTS. 

Growing up in Virginia, outside a large city, I saw many homeless people utilizing cardboard to keep off the wind, I know it works.  It's nice and sunny now so the cardboard won't mush.  I feel like while we could rig up a nice shelter for the dog, it wouldn't be fair to her in the long run.  These people will move on eventually; and take the dog.  They will continue to neglect her. 

I think it is better for the dog to be taken now, than suffer in the long run.  I wouldn't be worried if she had a thick coat, but she's a very shorthaired dog.  Of course the cardboard and an old fleece blanket will not pass animal control guidelines, but that's the point.  The people who wouldn't make a fence repair, WHEN GIVEN WOOD, with 3 adult men living in the house, certainly won't lift a finger to do anything special for the dog.  "Our" fixes, will ensure some comfort for Doggie until they surrender her to a better home. 

Last night I had a horrible experience.  I heard an ominous squeaking, then a clatter... I thought "Oh, no.  Bubba's brought us a live rodent!"  I was pretty alarmed.  I really had to urinate so I got up to investigate.  Ron had found my handcart and was rolling it around on the floor, making it squeak.  Then he knocked something over.  [shudder]  Thank God it was a false alarm!   No, I did not yell at Ron...although tempted now. 

Then I went back to bed, locking the cat door.  The cold front and ensuing rain arrived sometime after that.  Bubby can get into the garage, but not the house, when I do the pet door.  The garage is warmer and dry. 

Ron had a nightmare about the cat crying out in the rain, so he opened the door and let the cat in.  That really messed with my head, in the morning I saw the open door and I was certain I had closed it. 

*I* completely overslept.  Ron gently woke me about 45 minutes before pickup.  EEEEEK!  I had enough time for a shower and that was it!  I had enough driver candy to sustain me. 

We had to go to work and call in our soda order.  We had a nice straight trip, a new driver, really happy to get the candy.  A supervisor walked up to me, after I had donned my "Merry Christmas" santa hat.  Ron wore the elf hat.  I'll get a photo up when I can. 

"I saw you" He stated grimly.
"Oh, when?" 
"Yesterday"
"Oh, during the Bible handout!" 
"Yeah."   I grinned at him, and he walked off.  [shrug]  I don't exactly hide my light under a bushel. 

I decorated for the holidays - I put up 5 small artificial Christmas trees.  They look good.  The customers love the decor, and Ron and I in our santa hats.  I also inflated my 2-foot high inflatable jolly Santa.  He went on top of the small soda machine. 

Imagine this; you're on your break.  You walk into the cafeteria area.  Ron is rolling around in his wheelchair, brightly lit with Christmas lights and festooned with garland.  He is wearing an elf hat with a jingle bell.  You look around.  Small Christmas trees everywhere, and there's Heather, wearing a Santa hat, inflating Santa. 

Quite a sight, I'm sure.  I guess I'm used to being a spectacle. 

Then we came home.  We plan to run to Walmart tomorrow, now that ought to be interesting! 

1 comment:

Galatea said...

We need a video blog or blog on what its liek to be married to and be intimate with a blind man