Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bubba got the liver

I'm pretty tired, it was a good day.  You know, I have a suspicion that I am "more interesting" in text than I am on the phone?  Just a thought. 

I got up and started some of my meal prep.  Ron had been asleep/in his room all day.  He decided to act like nothing happened last night.  He made a very neutral comment about the handout and that was it. 

Well, I worry about ego.  [snort]  I sure didn't have him praising me to the skies.  God allowed something to happen to him; I won't say, because it's private.. but if I were the vengeful/vindictive type I would have been satisfied.  I just helped him and was very neutral. 

He made a comment about things "Smelling good" in the kitchen.  I told him the pot roast was done (it was), and offered him some.  He asked what I planned to cook, said they sounded good, and said he'd like to share if I didn't mind. 

[raising my eyebrows]  I don't know what happened to Mr-All-I-Want-Is-A-TV-Dinner, but I didn't argue.  I told him I had some stuffing, and I'd be happy to fix it for him.  He said OK, then said don't bother later on. 

I had already started it and told him.  He said OK and ate quite a bit. 

In the meantime, I have a 3.5 pound chicken.  I took out all the "parts" and seasoned it up.  Pepper, garlic, onion powder, a little bit of "Poultry" seasoning, and a tablespoon of chopped garlic in the cavity.  It was delicious. 

While the chicken cooked, I made Ron's stuffing, some pumpkin pudding for me, and cooked the ham.  It was precooked, all I did was pan-fry it until it was nice and brown. 

I still had that chicken neck and the liver.  I saved the neck for stock, and decided to cook the liver and give it to the cat.  If he didn't like it, I'd give it to the neighbors' dog.  Yes, the fence-wrecker.  The poor thing was so happy to see me coming and going from the Bible Handout. 

I seasoned it with a little pepper and garlic - I know!  It's a cat!  Then I fried it up.  I waved it under Bubba's nose when it was cool.  He was very excited and devoured the whole liver, at once.  Good.  I never know what to do with liver; and I can't stand the taste.  I wish I could get a taste for liver, it is an incredibly nutritious meat. 

Ron, by now, was pretty drunk.  He did behave, though.  The chicken got to the proper temperature and I brought him out of the oven.  I fried up the ham, etc.  I asked Ron what he wanted, all 3 meats and the stuffing.  The stuffing was already on the table.  Half a stick of butter, and 1.5 cups tap water, then nuke for 5 minutes, not terribly difficult.  Tell HIM that, he made ravenous caveman noises. 

He said, all 3 meats, please.  I gave him a chicken leg and some breast meat, a nice amount of ham, and the delicious moist part of my potroast.  I had snacked on some potroast earlier because I had gotten queasy.  When I'm queasy, I need to eat, or I will really get sick.  Oddly, my blood sugar is not really low at those times, I've checked (I have a meter). 

Ron loved all 3 meats, and ate probably 8-10 ounces total.  He ate quite a bit of stuffing.  I had a bowl of pumpkin pudding, and the meat, and was happy.  I am really glad I did a chicken, because that's a much more manageable animal for a 2-person household.  I hate to waste food.  This way, I've got pot roast in the freezer, a pot roast meal or 2; chicken for a day or so, then it's gone; then some chicken stock in the freezer.   The ham is heat and serve, so easy to fry some up on demand.  I gave Bubba some leftover ham I couldn't finish, and he ate that too.  All the meat only cost me about $10, too. 

Ron will help debone the chicken tomorrow, and I'll make and freeze the stock.  It's great to have a frozen, meaty stock in the freezer, ready to heat and eat on demand.  Just throw in some veggies!  Which I have! 

I called Mom & Dad, they're doing well.  I left a message with my aunt, she's at her in-laws.  I am really tired. 

I plan to do my God Time, take a bath/shower, and go to bed.  I need to get up around 6 AM tomorow; for work!  No Black Friday shopping for me! 

I would love to do my next Bible handout on Christmas Day.  Ron is always depressed on Christmas, anyway. 

No comments: