Friday, March 12, 2010

"No Blood bank in the afternoon"

An odd day... I got up very early. I bagged up Driver Candy, did my prayer time, and did my devotionals. Most of them, I think. If I missed one I'll get it once I log off and do my nighttime stuff. I may not have a "fully functional" brain; I may have mental illness, I may not have much money, but I do have an hour or two, every day, for God. Thank You, Lord.

I brought tons of Bibles and of course everyone already had one. Oh, well. Went to work, did the pull, counted it, and went to the bank. I got paid. Then, off to Burger King. I did something nice, but won't tell. I'm glad I could.

Ron and I ate, and we got dropped off at the Blood Bank. Ron was curious to try platelets, apparently they have a great need for his blood type. It takes about 2 hours. Plus, we got dropped early, so we were there about 3 hours total. I just gave regular blood, and barely squeaked by with a 39 (I would have failed at 37). I got the "good" technician. I had an excellent stick, fast donation (I remembered to squeeze the ball, again and again...), and no problems except a faint vestige of lightheaded. I get a lot worse from my meds!

I ran all my meds past the expert, and she said "No problem", years ago. I was all wrapped up and drinking a soda before they even got started on Ron. I ran over to a discount store, bought some candy, because I had done the unthinkable and RUN OUT. Yike! I felt awful, running out of Driver Candy! I just gave a handful of mixed chocolates to the rest of the people I encountered.

Oh, off topic, the skin on my belly is getting very elastic, I think I might be getting ready to lose some more. My tush is getting kind of wrinkly-looking, too. A good sign.

I went back, Ron was still on the machine. Next time, I bring a book. Our ride came and I had a hard time explaining Ron was donating blood. The drivers are very used to dialysis patients, though, so I said "He's still on the machine" and he went OH, OK! Funny how a term can apply to two very different conditions!

Thank you, God, for healthy kidneys for the both of us! Ron's donation went fine. "I feel fine" and "I want to donate in a month when I can." See what I married! I am very proud of his heart. He has a wonderful heart for others.

Oh, and the driver I sent away? He had a very difficult client so it was a real blessing. I did not want to deal with "that" anyway. I felt fine, but the blood bank was closing. We walked over to the store and waited. It would have been a long wait on the Metrolift, so we called a subsidized cab. We got one quickly, a wonderful Nigerian man and his precious, precious, toddler in the carseat!

I'm getting better at all the social rules! I cooed at the little guy, and gave DAD a handful of wrapped candy - give one to the baby! After letting us out, he did! He remembered us from TWO years ago! I may have lost 70 pounds, I may have cut my hair short, but Ron's appearance is a very consistent thing! [grin]

We came home, I checked the mail. It was late by now but I still tried to get a nap. I guess I had too much caffeine, even though I had taken my lithium early, I just couldn't sleep. So, I got up.

I actually own a few, cheap, DVD's now. I may watch one later.

Not a bad day, but I agree with Ron "No blood bank in the afternoon".

No comments: