Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's time to get 'em saved!


I'm listening to yet more Gospel rap - this one "Get 'em Saved". Very appropriate.


Let me tell you a little about my "nature". I'm a fearful person. I wouldn't even ride the bus for about 5 years after my husband's accident. I'd have panic attacks standing at the bus stop, watching the traffic. Crossing streets? Awful. Gasping for breath, panicked... miserable. I felt like a trapped animal. This is significant.


I was also pretty fearful when it came to "strangers". I'm an extrovert, "Bubbly", but I didn't reach out to others. Ever. Especially regarding my faith.


I'm saying all this to illustrate God's power. I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism. I thought, that would be great after I find a good church, we could all go out and hand out Bibles on street corners. It would be wonderful when I met some other, evangelism minded people. I would hate to die or get raptured without doing this, but I couldn't do it on my own.


It might not be safe. Jesus sent out the disciples in groups of two. I'm a woman, and it's the Last Days. I've already been mugged and shot with a BB gun (yes, I will brag on the attacks I've had as I do God's will - Paul did!); what else might happen? Maybe later, maybe never. I'll look like a homeless addict begging for money!


Yesterday I was reading a book on evangelism and God began to impress the absolute NEED to go out into the street this morning with a case of Bibles and begin handing them out. I trotted out all the excuses. I told God, make it MORE obvious.


He made it abundantly clear. Do this! OK, Lord. You want me to do this, I'll do it. I find it a little sad that he uses me. I see myself as less than a "normal" person. He has to use ME? I see myself as an imperfect tool. Kind of like a fork with one tine.


Do it, Heather. I got out the rolling backpack, the box of tracts, the stickers, index cards, pen, bookmarks, and postcards. I stuffed over 60 small New Testaments in the backpack. When it was full, I took them out and stacked them up. The cat was very annoyed I used HIS spot on the couch.


Have I told you how I "do" a Bible? First, I use a highlighter to mark Revelation 21:4, sometimes I am also led to do John 6:29, 44, and 47. You can look them up. :) http://www.bibleontheweb.com/ I make up cards, with some inspirational stickers and a note saying "I'm praying for you daily!" - if it's "hitting the streets", I sign it. If it's for work, I don't sign it.


I pray on everything, even what stickers to use. I stick the cards into the Bible, where I feel the Holy Spirit is leading me. Depending on what God guides me to do, I mark various portions. Generally, I always stick something in at the Gospel of John, and something at Revelation 21:4. I also select tracts, based on guidance, and insert them into the Bible, too.


It takes a while, but people really enjoy the work. Simply, this is what God wants me to do. I did something very important, sent a bulk mail to my family telling them I'd be doing this.


I did up all the Bibles. Then it was bedtime. God had it in my head, I was to be on the corner at 7 AM. That meant waking up at 5-something, and leaving the house before sunrise. I balked on that!


When 5 AM rolled around, I hit the snooze twice. I felt rather guilty about it, but I was also plagued by doubts. One factor in getting me ready - the embarrassment I'd feel if I backed out and my whole family asked me, "What happened?" Oh, I chickened out.


Yes, my fear of shame in front of my family, was worse than my fear of shaming myself before the Ruler of the Universe. [wince] However, it got me ready.


I got the bus and someone told me "You should be handing out whole Bibles, not just New Testaments!" I told him "But this way they have the good JESUS part! They can always go to Walmart and get a whole Bible, later."


I walked to the median at a busy intersection, standing next to the left-turn lane. Me. The one who was afraid of traffic. It goes to show, if we allow God to work in our lives, he does AMAZING things.


I stood there and got glared at, waved off, and ignored for a bit. I reminded myself I ask God for humility. If everyone snatched one eagerly, I would probably be full of vanity. I asked God the whole time, to send the people with open hearts, to me, so I could give them His word. It was pretty humbling.


However, I soon got my first taker. When the window rolled down, I handed them a Bible or two. One guy wanted them for his whole family, so I gave him a stack. Pretty soon I was having a good time! I would say about 40% of the people were interested. A few tried to give me money, which I waved off.


I stood there on the corner, with my sign, smiling and pointing at "Free Bibles". I carried a small stack in my right hand. If someone was interested, I jogged over to them and handed them however many I was led to give.


I gave away approximately 70 Bibles in about an hour. Praise God!


If you pray, ask God to give the recipients a hunger to read the Bibles, and His understanding.


I like how God uses me - I'm planting seeds, but I don't see the crop. If I knew how many people were getting saved, I would have a horribly swollen ego. I would be useless because I'd be full of vanity and pride. "Look what I did!" Nope, look what God does, if we allow Him to work through us!


No comments: