Monday, March 8, 2010

Bible-thumping, in the rain

Here's a link to today's photos, just scroll down. If you keep the link, I'll put up new March photos in this album. http://picasaweb.google.com/RCHeather/FebruaryMarch2010?feat=directlink

Busy and tiring day today! Went to work, got the deliveries, filled the machines - all of them. I had the other vendor take a photo of me with the sign. She was very surprised.

I have had this thought and I think it bears sharing: I absolutely know this idea is from God. How? When my illness is talking, I get ugly-minded, nasty-tempered, and paranoid. THEN I get the Bad Thoughts. I have been filled up with compassion, excitement, and a need to act.

So, today I lugged a large tote bag filled with about 22 Bibles, plus driver candy, plus plenty of Cup-a-noodles for work. It was raining, so I brought my big yellow raincoat too.

After work, I got dropped at a busy corner. I stood on the corner, with my rapidly-wilting cardboard sign. "Free Bibles". A lot of squinting from the drivers. Boy, today was a TOUGH crowd. It took me about a hour, I think, to hand out 2 dozen or so!

I kept telling God, I'm doing Your work. Continue to guide me, I'll stand out here as long as it takes. I know You are sending me people hungry for Your word. Send them to me with an open heart and I'll get them the Bible. Use me, Lord. I'll stand out here however long it takes. I repeated that again and again, as I stood there in the rain. It wasn't bad while I was working, but later on I did get a little chilled.

I kept asking God for the above, and more. I had plenty of time to pray! Then, a window would roll down now and then and I'd hand out a Bible, in a quart sized zip-top baggie, with a handful of candy, too. One guy asked me if I had Spanish. Did I! I was thrilled.

Eventually, I handed out the last Bible, to a lady who had initially rejected my approach. She was impressed I refused money. I have asked God to put a certain phrase into the mouth of anyone whose money I'm to accept. If they say that, I'll take it. That was I know I am doing God's will.

It's tricky. On the one hand, I won't ask. God provides, well. I have a $10 discount card for use tomorrow, and I occasionally get 20% discounts. He sends me great stuff on the clearance rack, too. I have 4 wonderful devotionals, I use for my personal use, and I only paid a combined total of $3.50 for them all!

On the other hand, if as someone termed, "Wants to share in the blessing" who am I to say no? But I ALWAYS have God put the phrase in their mouth. He does. He wants me obedient and dependent on Him.

I am a proud person, and I work on that issue daily. That's the great thing about what He's got me doing. I am the "seed spreader" as my Dad plagarized from the Bible. I just go and spread the Word. I never see them again. Some of them may get saved, but I don't know!

So, I'll have a great surprise in Heaven. After my hour-long humility and obedience lesson, I got a snack. I was actually hungry. Then He put it in my head to go to a store, I did, and I missed a bus!

I told myself, if I had been out there when I first wanted to go, there may have been a reckless driver. I see them a lot on that street. Maybe someone on the bus is contagious. [shrug] I always, always, figure there is a REASON.

I stood out in the rain for another half-hour, reading "Pilgrim's Progress". The bus came. It was a guy I knew.

I got myself some soda, and almost got flattened by a white sports car. Whoo! I KNOW I am under God's protection. I should have been in the hospital, the way he drove! I thanked God profusely, and sincerely, and got up on safe ground.

I got a Starbucks heavy whipping cream thing, and left with that. I went to Favorite Dollar and got some sugarfree candy. I am getting a lot of people who say "I would love some SUGAR FREE candy". I am handing out my stash! I'm down to cough drops - which I won't hand out unless someone is sick!

I got a couple bags, and headed off to the Christian bookstore. I got a photo taken of me with the sad and bedraggled cardboard sign. "Kay" suggested, why don't you have us make you a sign?

They do lamination. They have awesome poster board. They helped, and I love it. You can see in my photos.

I left rather later than I would have liked, but God gave me good bus transfers and I got home safely.

All I want to do now is get flat for a while. I didn't sleep well last night, and I figured it was a spiritual attack because the Bad Guy didn't like my plans!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Another busy day for you Heather! So glad your home safe and sound! While you continue to do your work for Ron and more importantly the Lord, I will pray for your safety! {{{HUGS}}}

Heather Knits said...

Thanks Ginny! I'll take any prayer! (((hugs)))