Sunday, March 7, 2010

I see my primary job as Pleasing God. That is the most important thing in my life, period. I am delighted when He chooses to use me. Sometimes baffled, but always delighted.

One issue I've been working on as I go though life; how much do I share? When does "Sharing" become "Boasting?" When does "Encouraging others" turn to "Prideful?" I can sense a tendency towards pride, and I want to overcome that.

I have read several books on Evangelism, and some of them just turned my stomach. The authors relate in great detail "HOW MUCH GOOD I'VE DONE" They quote numbers. Lots of boasting about their "Kingdom Work". Can God still use someone like that? I wonder.

I do know this, it is very dangerous to be a teacher, and to put your own dogma out as God's will. I often find myself cherrypicking as a result. If I can't back up your statement from the Bible, I do not accept it.

I want to emulate Jesus, and he was very humble. Remember Him washing the feet of his disciples? That was considered "slave work" for a woman, in the Roman world. Only the very lowest rung of society washed feet. Jesus put himself down there, and He asks us to do the same.

One fun thing about my job yesterday, was that it was fairly humiliating. I felt ridiculous waving my sign at times, getting glared at and ignored. Worst of all were the people who saw the sign, didn't read it, and tried to give me money! I was mistaken for a hard-luck homeless person!

One thing I feel God's put in my head, is a simple statement. Instead of "I did..." "God CHOSE to use me to...." The second is far more accurate.

I recently got ready to ship off my last New King James Bible. As I got it out of the box [cries at no more NKJV Bibles], I saw a pencil box filled with World Missionary Press scripture booklets. A mix of English and Spanish. God put it in my head TAKE THIS.

I was going to the grocery store. The box had a couple dozen booklets. I wouldn't hand out the booklets at the store, but it's been my experience that God will use me, if I ALLOW it.

So, they went into my bag. As I was out, I encountered someone who said "I wish I had something like this yesterday" relating a tale of a very bitter man questioning God, as they looked at the scripture booklet in the bag of candy I'd just given them. God led me to give this person, the pencil box. They were shocked, but delighted. Now they can spread God's Word!

The booklets say, on the back, how to get more. So they are set! Because I was obedient today, God could use me to generate more evangelism. That is excellent. I am delighted God can use me.

Mainly I have been feeling led to hand out the candy bags, with tract and scripture booklet. I'm happy to do that. God is generous in providing excellently priced, tasty, candy. Everyone who eats the candy in my presence seems delighted.

He put it on me, to get bigger bags, and stick a New Testament in with the candy. Tract, scripture booklet, candy, New Testament! All in a quart sized bag! I'll do that as long as He wants.

I only have one concern, in all that God asks me to do. The grocery store was sold out of the Paleta Enchilada. It's a hot lollipop. All the Spanish people loved them. "Oh, you got the GOOD CANDY!" I wanted a relevant candy for the Spanish, so I went with the Chili Bonchas instead. It is a 9 gram hard candy, mango flavored, with chili. I am curious and eager to see if these are considered "A good candy" like the Paleta.

I'm glad God can use me, and I hope and pray I am approaching my service with the right attitude. I don't want Him to be embarrassed or ashamed of me.

No comments: