Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I forgot something

I did a lot of research before I asked my doctor for Wellbutrin. I didn't notice that it is associated with low blood pressure!

Today, Ron and I had a nice mostly-day-in. I woke up on my own, did my Bible study, shower, etc. I had a good time. Ron and I chatted for a bit and even downloaded some music for his player.

Then we went to Starbucks. I had a $10 off card for a Christian bookstore, and I planned to USE it. I had my bus card, all ready to go.

After having a medium heavy whipping cream steamer, about a thousand calories, I took my medication. I waited about half an hour for Ron's ride. I could feel my mouth getting dry so I knew it was working.

Ron and I even chatted about our local Walmart's failure to provide lithium. It's really awful. How do you run out of antidepressants, and lithum, for over a week? Bipolar individuals who go off their medications become HEADLINES and can often become violent. You'd think there'd be a liability issue. [shrug] If they can't get it together I will be happy to switch to a closer pharmacy, one that I can reach with one bus ride, instead of 3.

He left, I got a couple of sodas. While out on my own, I handed out all my driver candy and did a nice thing for someone. Jesus says to keep our good deeds private.

I began walking. Now, it has been warm, upper 70's for the first time in a while. It was also very sunny. I was walking across a large paved parking lot and suddenly got very lightheaded. It was a very uncomfortable sensation.

It felt familiar, like when I took Prozac as a teen, and when I took the Lexapro from 2006-2009 (ended by a spectacular allergic reaction). I was literally begging God to "hold me up".

I also recited my favorite Bible verse, when Jesus tells Paul "My strength is made perfect in weakness" and Paul says "Therefore, I will glory in my infirmities, so the power of Christ may rest more fully on me, for when I am weak, I am strong [in Jesus]." I told God he must be awfully powerful in me! [laugh]

I got home OK, did a few things, and took a nap. I feel fine now.

I figured out why it happened. 3 things: 1. I ate a big meal before walking around in the sun. 2. Walking around in the sun, unaccustomed to it. 3. Wellbutrin can cause low blood pressure.

It perfectly explains my symptoms. Next time, I will stop at a gas station or something and drink one of those "energy shot" sugarfree things. When I have problems with low-blood pressure, a caffeine shot seems to help.

I think I'll have to be a lot more careful, walking around in the sun, for the next little bit. I don't think I'll be able to run around with a heavy backpack until my body has a chance to acclimate. Especially since I am giving blood on Friday!

I definitely plan to spend next week taking it easy. We've had a lot to do this week, and I need to rest. I like having a steady mood, and only one way to keep it that way - rest!

No comments: