Friday, March 12, 2010

Don't talk about MY drivers!

I had a very surreal experience during an attempted nap today. I was lying down in bed. Bubba-cat nestled nearby, cleaning himself. I felt the slight movements of the bed as he groomed himself. I'm drifting, half asleep, when I hear... the seagull.

I live at least an hour's drive inland. At first, I ignored it, until I heard another one. Bubba stopped grooming himself so I sat up. Yes, "we" had 2 laughing seagulls in the backyard! That's a surreal experience, something I've only seen on a Galveston beach, in my yard. I looked at the cat for confirmation. He was staring right at them. Yup, I had seagulls.

Kind of an odd ending to a long day! Recently my local paper had an article about an atrocity committed in Jos, Nigeria. You can look it up, but don't. Anyway, some racist thing had his little rant all typed out about "Those people are ALL...."

The first Nigerian I ever met was an attendant at a mental hospital. He was a very kind and compassionate man, very outgoing and very very kind. He was a hard worker, dedicated, and intelligent. That's been my benchmark "Nigerian". They're all different, but in many regards they're similar: Incredible work ethic, tremendous appreciation for the opportunities offered in America, very hard workers, devout, sincere, incredibly intelligent, fantastic work ethic, and amazingly kind, patient, and compassionate. I should know; I rode with 3 today.

"Lazy" is the antonym of a Nigerian, or any, immigrant! They put the most hardworking American to shame; they know what it is to go to bed hungry, and they are determined to prosper. In fact, every immigrant driver I have ever encountered has been the same, very hardworking. Some of the Middle Eastern guys are not very compassionate - but they're hardworking. I also like the Asians. Half the time I can't understand a word they say, but they work hard and they have such upbeat, positive attitudes. One guy confided he had been a prisoner of war in Vietnam - the North guys got him, and every day after his release has been a "Good" day because he refuses to let anything get him depressed! I really admire that kind of spunk. One Eastern European guy also falls in that category. I don't know what was done to him, but it was awful. He's an overcomer.

They all are, and I take great offense when someone slanders "MY" drivers.

No comments: