Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hating on Generics

I have read several articles bitterly bashing generic drugs. One practicioner bitterly complained about the "ineffectiveness" of generic Lamotrigine; and an opthamologist ranted about the use of generic eye drops.

What about me? Before Generics, we can estimate I would pay at least... hang on. I'll look it up. Wellbutrin, name brand, is about $250 for a 3 month supply. Versus, $44 for my beloved Teva generic version, which, guess what? Whacks my depression.

Risperdal! Whoo! $468.13 for a 3 month supply. Or, about $40 for a 3 month supply of "ZYD" generics, which work perfectly. I don't see things. No paranoia, hallucinations, or delusions either. Good stuff. Makes me a nice friendly person, and I can afford to take THAT.

Last but not least, the Lithium! $575.19 for Lithobid brand. That kicks the Risperdal's butt. 3 tablets a day, for 90 days. Or I can take generic Lithium Carbonate, a three month supply, for $10. That's an easy choice.

Ron has been told he must cut my pay now; because sales are down. Let's take a quick second to look at the actual savings. Actual cost $1293.32, or about $431.11 a month. The generics cost me about $25-$30 a month. I save over $400 a month by taking generics.

That, while very important, is not the most important reason I take them. They work. My lithium levels are excellent every time I'm tested. My moods are well-regulated 90% of the time. The other 10% I can trace to things like over the counter medications, sleep deprivation, illness, or conflict.

The Bupropion (Wellbutrin), does the job of pulling me out of depressions. If I'm having the dread, anxiety, or other unpleasant add-ons, I can take another half to whole tablet and give the symptoms a good beating. It keeps my depressions at a l0w-grade level, when I am depressed. When I get depressed, it's managable, even more so by taking an extra half tablet now and then. I am cleared to take up to 2 tablets a day, generally I take one, so an extra half tablet is well within my dosing.

I'm generally not manic, or depressed. If I am, I can afford to take another pill and get my moods where they belong. I don't have to cut my Risperdal in half, and endure very unpleasant symptoms, because I can't afford to take a full dose. To repeat myself, a whole, GENERIC tablet, does me a lot better than 1/2 a name brand!

I have seen a lot of people with my illness complaining bitterly about side effects and poor symptom management. 1. A lot of them drink - and alcohol, like sugar, is a mood poison. 2. A lot of them are unwilling to accept mild-to-moderate side effects in order to manage the illness. Maybe, they don't have a severe form of the illness; and they'd rather take something with a hot and sexy reputation. Maybe they think Lithium will make them fat, or stupid.

Maybe they believe all the hype that the "newer" drugs are so much "better" than the old ones. The only people I know, with good mood management, all take the "old" stuff. Something to consider!

I don't know about the stupid part, but I will say my husband ENJOYS me far more than he did before medication! He enjoys my company and seeks me out. That didn't happen before. Other people also seek out my company and say they enjoy spending time with us. Now.

I have a disability, and a really awful form of mental illness. My husband and I found out today we are right smack in the middle of "low-income" and it's doubtful we'll ever move out of that bracket. I thank God for Generics every day, and I tend to get very annoyed when people paint ALL generic drugs with the same ugly brush. Mine work great, thank you, and don't you dare touch them.

Or I'll have to act like I'm not taking my medication!

1 comment:

heidi said...

brilliant post! I wish you could stand in my lobby and tell my folks this!!! preach it sistah!


I use sumatriptin for migraines thank goodness it is generic now!!!