Friday, March 26, 2010

$1 will get you....

OK, so I'm leaving my problems in God's very capable hands.

I've had some trouble sleeping; namely dropping off, staying asleep, and the dreams I have when I'm "out". So, when I'm lying in bed wondering about my caffeine intake for the day, I ask God for some favors. I ask him to help me fall asleep, to have a good quality of sleep, and to help me use the sleep I get to be productive tomorrow. I don't care if I'm a zombie on my own time; but I do believe in a good days' work.

One of the reasons I would like to get another job, for instance. I feel like maybe I could "do" more. Also, it would be nice to have a support network of people I'm not married to - my own group of acquaintences who don't know Ron. Sometimes it can be a burden. [sigh] But I'm being positive and leaving my problems in God's hands.

Funny, my spelling is worse these days. I accept that as part of the price tag for managing my illness. [shrug] Not a big deal! However, I doubt I will go for an office job - I love being physically active and working hard. I think I would do a lot better in a stocking type job. I think I would be more valued in that role. I might not be the best in an office, but I know I shine when it comes to stocking. I do my best, whatever it is I'm doing. I want to do something in my talent window, that allows me to excel, even if that means mopping toilets.

So, last night I'm lying in bed. Sometimes I do blog entries in my head, and I thought it would be fun to do a charity rundown.

When I was in elementary school, they did a Unicef presentation. They would tell us, a quarter will do this, a dollar would do that, you can feed a whole family for $25. I always enjoyed those types of rundowns. The charities I reference are listed over to the right hand side, under the slideshow.

So, here goes. You have a little bit of money for charity, and you wonder how you could best use it. Or maybe you find a dollar somewhere. Oh, and abbeviations - WMP is World Missionary press. GFA is Gospel for Asia, G&T - Grace and Truth. H is Holman - the affordable Bible link.

I thought this would be fun, because a lot of times we think we need to write a big check for it to do any good! Au contraire! We can do a lot of good with just $1! Someone occasionally sends me a small check, and I always tell her how I used it. The last one, was half a case of New Testaments!

$1 will get you:
2 Holman "Invitation" New Testaments
50 Grace and Truth tracts, plus one Holman New Testament
100-200 Grace and Truth tracts (depending on tract size)
1 pound bag of wrapped candy for Driver Candy.
1 package ziplocks for Driver Candy.
2 Gospel for Asia New Testaments, for native Christians.
200 GFA tracts for a Native Missionary
25 WMP booklets - in many, many languages. You could donate and let someone else distribute them, or order some booklets and distribute them yourself (I'm partial to sticking one in a bag of candy, ideally with a New Testament and some tracts). I carry 4 languages, and I'm considering adding some French and perhaps Hindi due to the immigrants I encounter.

$5 will get you:
Mixture: 100 Grace and Truth tracts, 25 WMP booklets, ziplocks for driver candy, and two pounds of candy. Put them all together and smile back at the happy recipients.
1000 GFA tracts
8 GFA New Testaments, and 200 tracts.
Up to 1000 Grace and Truth tracts - you can donate without handing them out yourself. :)
125 WMP Scripture booklets
10 Holman New Testaments or
5 Holman New Testaments and 500 Grace and Truth tracts (or 50+ WMP booklets)
5 "Whole" Nelson New King James (a very readable version) paperback Bibles (every Christian bookstore in Houston does this!).

$10 will get you:
3 pounds of wrapped driver candy, ziplocks, 10 New Testaments, and 100 tracts (or 25 Scripture booklets). Probably my favorite hands-on evangelism thing. I hand out about 10 or so a day. I use a quart ziplock, put in a New Testament, and a few handfuls of assorted candy. Everyone is EXCITED about them. When Called, I hand them out on the corner, too.
20 New Testaments, or 10 NT and 5 whole Bibles
One to two thousand tracts! Wow! Someone's BOUND to get saved out of all that! (Pray before handing out, and ask God for "fruitful distribution"). Either GFA (2000 with those $10) - or Grace and Truth.
20 GFA New Testaments! Wow! That's a whole lot of happy believers, on the other side of the world!
WMP would love to send out TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY to 295 (China) booklets!

I think you get the idea. If you're fortunate enough to have more than $10 for God's work, you can have even more fun. GFA in particular has many low-cost ways to give if you want to find something in particular. Every dollar for Grace and Truth is a hundred or so tracts. Every dollar for WMP is 25, (48 page) scripture booklets. I sat down with one yesterday and it took me quite a while to read it through. Good, God, stuff, straight from the Bible, with minimal "chatter".

No comments: