Wednesday, May 4, 2016

What a day off

Well, that was unpleasant. 


 
 
A pretty normal morning, forgot to set my alarm, woke up late, shower, off to Walmart. 
 
When we came home I found that.  Not sure what happened with that. 
 
A couple of theories.  Today is trash day, when we got home I saw my can had been moved.  I checked and discovered the yard guy had been there, weed-whacked the catio, and secured the door with a stick so the cats wouldn't get out. 
 
He could have had an accident. 
 
Or, someone vandalized our home. 
 
It could be the yard guy hit something with his weed whacker and it flew into the glass, breaking it.  We are waiting to hear back from him, I think he would tell the truth. 
 
Or, someone got into the catio before the yard guy, broke the window, tried to get in, foiled by the burglar bars, and broke the window in anger. 
 
"I hope not" Ron replied to my theory.  "What, my house is going to be robbed every couple years now?"  Well, we are living in the end times. 
 
At the end of it, doesn't really matter how.  I went into the bedroom, so excited about taking a nap.  My vertical blinds were messed up.  When I adjusted them I saw the huge hole (about 4 feet up) in the sliding panel of the door.  

I told Ron, who didn't believe me.  I went to the bathroom and heard a horrible crashing glass noise.  Ron had felt the glass for himself, bringing a huge cascade down on the carpet.  I scolded him a little, and Ron, properly chastened, left the room. 

I found a glass guy who had pretty good reviews.  The bad reviews sounded like "shoe polishers" as we call them. 

The glass guys came out in about half an hour, they were nearby.  They had a look at the patient, the setup with the catio and burglar bars, and said they would have to take the panel from the inside.  I was fine with that. 

I left them to it, a lot of muttering and some exclamations, and pretty soon they're walking out of the yard carrying the panel.  I am left with a ventilation hole.  The screen door is so difficult I try not to use it at all. 

They will be back with the new glass, loaded into the panel, and then install it.  That will take a little doing but I'm OK with that.  I just want to sleep secure. 

What a day off. 

Off I go to clean more glass.  I have had a bellyful of broken glass, today. 

Edit: the guys came back shortly after I posted.  They brought my refurbished door and a shop vac to get all the broken glass.  I had gotten about 90% of it up, they got the rest.  I left them alone in the room for a few minutes and they had it installed in no time at all.  It works great and hopefully will not be an issue for another 30 some years. 

So, all better, but I am exhausted. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you guys are all ok!