Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"The Camel"

"I'm going to write a blog" I told Ron "About my constant need to pee." 

Ron laughed, then asked about it. 

"Well, lithium is a diuretic.  It makes me urinate.  It also makes me retain water, and it makes me incredibly thirsty so I am always drinking."  I continued "It's really bad when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep, and I have to pee every 10 minutes!" 

It is wearying. 

"But Heather" you may think "Why not drink less water?"  Have you ever been really sick, vomiting for a day or so, unable to hold any liquids?  Do you remember how that felt?  It's that bad.  It's a constant, fierce, thirst. 

Family remind me, I drank a lot of water even before the medication.  My sister once frantically  recounted that I had drunk 18 cans of diet soda in one day.  I found that amusing, with all her problems she wanted to throw rocks at that? 

OK, I've always been "thirsty".  Ron used to call me "The Camel" because I drank all the water on a hike.   Now I'm superthirsty.  

I've been checked out - I'm fine.  It's just the medication.

I thank God for my medication.  I accept my side effect profile.  But I get so tired of the drinking, and the urinating. 

You would not believe how fast I go through a roll of toilet paper. 


No comments: