Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alarmingly direct

Sometimes, God can be alarmingly direct, and I can find it a little scary. 

This morning I woke up pretty depressed, but I had to get up or face a migraine.  My body works like that; if I don't get up, I hurt, worse than depression.  My aunt says she is the same way - if she sleeps too late she gets a migraine. 

So, I got up, wondering what God had planned for me today.  I went ahead and got the master copy sheets for the tracts.  I got some soda, bus pass you name it.  I did my God Time. 

I missed the bus, but since I had the time I checked the mail and took Ron a lot of books.  He was thrilled. 

I went to Foodtown, got a six-pack of diet Dr Pepper, 2 quarts of Powerade Zero, and called my aunt.  Roasted like a turnip waiting on the bus.  Finally caught it.  Got my copies made, and tried to get to the bus stop.

HOWEVER, traffic control had "fixed" the light.  They'd fixed it alright; the pedestrian crosswalk wasn't working.  No way, ever, am  I going to cross that street without the protection of the light. 

As I turned away and trudged up the street, I just KNEW God had some purpose behind this, but I was a little resentful as I trudged the half-mile to the other bus stop with the "good" light. 

Sure enough, another woman waited at the bus stop.  She had a small purse and looked pretty warm.   I was sorry I'd drunk my Powerade, and offered her a soda.  We chatted as we waited on the bus, and boarded. 

She got an earful as I chatted with the bus driver.  The driver likes my "crusades" as she calls them.  She wanted to hear all about the last Bible handout and we discussed current events, and how praying to "God" is OK, but God help you if you pray to "Jesus" in public. 

I pointed out the woman's bus stop, and she passed me a piece of paper as she got off.  "I'm a Christian, too."  Now I can friend her on Facebook - she gave me the contact info. 

All because the traffic light was out! 

So, I trudged off to the Christian bookstore.  I got a couple of t-shirts and a nice card for Dad.  Oops.  I forgot the stamp.  Maybe Ron will let me buy one tomorrow.  It was miserably, hellishly, hot. 

I am certain they had major heat advisories all over the place.  I caught the bus, made my bank deposit, and came home.  Thank God I'm inside. 

No comments: