Thursday, June 9, 2011

I have a problem with Pride

Pride.  I have it.  Too much, in fact. 

I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn, somewhere between self-sufficiency, independence, and arrogance.  I think it is safer to say "I have a pride issue" than to say "I am humble". 

I try to dig out and remove unwanted character traits, like pride. 

Anyway, let me tell you about my day and how a couple things got to working on the old pride.  Didn't sleep great, but OK.  God gave me a good quality of sleep. 

I forgot that pinto beans seem to trigger a migraine.  AGH.  Woke up in vicious pain.  Then, I couldn't remember if I HAD taken the Excedrin.  I knew a double dose would be bad news, so I waited and it got better. 

Safe to assume I had.  We had to work, and had to mail the insurance.  I hope we never need to use it. 

I'm pretty groggy right now; post-ictal I think they call it, for a migraine.  The post period can be as bad as a migraine. 

Anyway, we went to work.  I stocked snacks, when ran an errand for Ron in the building.  While I was gone, our supervisor came by.  He picked up some papers and left. 

I was really glad I had just stocked the snack machines.  I did the stocking, and the migraine ebbed and flowed.  I realized I couldn't take out the dumpster. 

Things were not helped by the dumpster full of rancid coffee grounds, in the hall, left by the other vendor's employee.  Yuck.  It was like a drill in my head.  Not to mention that's a great way to attract bugs. 

Anyway, got through it.  Didn't have to wait too long on our pickup, and happily we had a nice driver.  We chatted for a while as he listened to NPR.  Not really my "thing".  We had an interesting discussion about cremation, and I told him I found nothing in the Bible to contradict the practice.  Not to mention, it is a lot cheaper. 

We had to ride for over an hour, until we got home.  I found it amusing that the lady we picked up went to one of the most expensive grocery stores in Houston.  I will say, they do have a good collection of organics. 

Finally got home, and curled up in a ball for a while.  Woke up, felt better. 

I wish I slept as well at night as I can during the day. 

Heard a knock on the door, and yay!  Scripture booklets.  I have a hard time asking for things, especially relating to "ministry".  I feel like I "ought" to be able to buy it all on my own. 

I forget that plenty of people are not called to distribution, but production.  Others are "senders".  I have to say, I think a scripture booklet is about the best use of money.  4 cents per booklet. 

Nothing I could buy, can compete, and they get a donation every month regardless.  I asked for 400 assorted, and they sent me 500.  Awesome. 

I'm bagging up candy right now (all my booklets got sent off to someone distributing in Joplin, Missouri).  Ron was happy to hear we got "Satan vs. Christ" - a booklet that, in part, warns about the mark of the beast.  Ron feels called to warn people, I support him. 

Funny how God put us together. 

Anyway, one thing I saw at work; one of the Spanish New Testaments from Biblica.  I desperately wanted a case, and I can't afford both English and Spanish, for the handout.  Every time I walked by the table it just killed me to see that New Testament. 

"Heather, why don't you just ask?"  So, I called someone who has helped in the past, and asked if they would buy a case of Spanish New Testaments for my next handout. 

"I'd been thinking about it..." they replied, and seem happy to do it.  Yay! 

I hate ASKING, though, but that goes to the pride again.   Hard to be arrogant when I have to ask for material! 

God knows, once I get it, it will be distributed and the recipents prayed for daily. 

No comments: