Saturday, June 11, 2011

Extremely Low Income

People seem to think we have a lot of money.  We don't! 

According to a Houston poverty level chart, we are, in fact, "Very Low Income".   About half our income goes to "housing" - mortgage and insurance.  That's not counting utilities.  Our big "fun" is the satellite TV. 

Sigh.  I don't mind being "poor", as most average people would see it.  I understand, safe housing, potable running water, climate control, reliable public transit, personal safety, and internet access equates to "Royal Living" in most of the world.  I don't take my standard of living, for granted.  I've seen what it's like across the border. 

Ugh.  The stench of rotting human waste; wild and starving dogs; having to buy water off a truck everyday because they don't have a tap; trash everywhere; rickety shacks housing a whole family in maybe 100 square feet; bugs, rodents... I thanked God everytime I crossed the border back to America. 

I am blessed to live the way I do. 

I get sad, and frustrated, when people assume we have a lot of money.  We don't!  I don't know where they get the misconception. 

What triggered all this?  We had a handyman over, a guy from work.  Ron bought a window unit air conditioner to help out the main unit.  This is an inexpensive model, costing about 10 hours of my pay (although Ron bought it).  It is a recognizable brand. 

Anyway, the handyman came out and had a look.  He needs to bring some tools, next time.  I also need to find some screwdrivers. 

We walked around the side of the house and he said "You need to replace this fascia board".  I know, I replied.  "You really need to do this."  I said, I'll be happy to, when we have the money!  We just spent over a thousand dollars for homeowner insurance! 

I was probably sharp with him.  I will apologize tomorrow. 

I just don't get it.  He saw the inside of the house.  We have NOTHING by most American standards.  Why does he think we have a lot of money? 

Sales, by the way, remain TERRIBLE at work.  We do not expect that to change.  We live cheap, not a big problem.  I can have hours of fun with a $2 ball of yarn, or a $1 book. 

I just wish people understood, we are "Extremely Low Income". 

By the way, assuming I do a handout that month, I spend about 9% of my take home on Bibles.  The tithers would love it.  [snort]

No comments: