Friday, October 8, 2010

Soda in a water cup is stealing

Ron and I had planned to go to a chicken place today; he'd get fried chicken, leave me there, and go home.  I'd ride the bus and do my fun Day Out things.  I was really excited when I read BOTH Christian bookstores were having Bible sales. 

I brought my handcart.  The first trip had Ron as a "Wheelchair", which we fixed.  We even had a stright trip (a gift). 

Ron and I got out.  As we reviewed the menu, we came to the same conclusion.  Not a good value. 

We had one of those rare moments where we knew each other's thoughts; McDonalds.  You know it's close if Ron can get there on foot (with me guiding of course).  So, he latched onto my elbow as I pushed the handcart in front of me, and headed over. 

For less than the price of a 3 piece chicken meal; Ron got a 3 piece chicken meal and a burger for me.  With change.  As I filled our drinks (I am partial to a "Diet Suicide": of mixed Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Coke), I saw the sign "Soda in a water cup is stealing, please be honest."  How sad and what a damning statement of the times. 

Ron enjoyed his meal (happily he recovered most of his flavors, including chicken, after the Bactrim poisoning), I "peeled" my burger (took the bread off) and ate it.  Tasty.  Not bad for $1. 

Value is very important to me.  I want to feel like I got my money's worth. 

Ron and I learned that Metrolift doesn't do well when you change the pickup location, so we staggered back.  Ron's ride arrived, the driver got his Bible and candy, and headed off. 

I was near the overcharge gas station.  Ron was pretty upset when I told them I am "overcharged" now, but I said it's just a sign to me to move on.  Besides, I wasn't far from a grocery store. 

I figured I'd buy a 6 pack of Diet Dr Peppers for less than I paid at a gas station for four, 20 ounce, sodas.  It was a good concept.  I felt a little persecuted as I realized they had every type of 20 ounce Dr Pepper Bottling Company product, EXCEPT Diet Dr.  I then figured if that was the worst thing to happen, I'd have a great day. 

"Why not just buy a 2 liter?"  A good ol' boy asked the question.  Good point.  I got it and a six-pack of Diet Pepsi - better than Diet Coke, and cheaper. 

As I paid, I handed out Bibles.  That always makes me happy. 

I had great bus drivers all day; they were all very kind and very skillful.  They agree, other drivers are a lot worse than they used to be. 

I went to my favorite Christian bookstore.  I teased them that they should have known I was coming when they advertised a Bible sale.  I squeaked with joy as I found a case of the New King James paperback Bibles (normally $1, now 20% off).  I dragged it out and toted it around like a barbarian with a fresh kill.  One employee snickered as he saw me with my treasure. 

I paid up and put it on the cart.  I was glad I had so many "bungee ropes" as Ron calls them; apparently the word storage for "bungee cord" was damaged in the accident.  He always calls them "ropes".  I was able to secure it front-back and on each side.  Otherwise everything falls off when I turn. 

I even found a shortcut so I didn't have to pick up and carry the cart as I normally do; that was great.  I passed Hater Gas station.  People found it funny that I had the 2 liter; and why.  I got a mild lecture about my water intake from a gal half my age - funny. 

I caught a bus and went to the import store.  The owners are Hindu.  I didn't think about my "In God I Trust" t-shirt until I was right outside the door.  I figured old "Hatey" would have freaked over it; happily they didn't care. 

I got my incense - all my favorites, Honey-rose, lavender, vanilla, patchouli, and jasmine.  Yummy.  I stored it carefully, away from my driver candy, and headed off to the other Christian bookstore.

Imagine my glee as I discovered THEY also had a Bible Sale.  I got 3 of the small New Testaments, they are palm-sized, and a couple of inspirational romance novels.  They are popular in the book exchange when I finish them. 

It was after 3.  I always feel it's a good idea to be home before dark; no matter where I live. 

I went to a craft store and got some sew-on velcro for my cell phone holder.  I made it myself.  I crocheted it out of wool, then "felted" it in the washer.  I basically threw it in a load of clothes on "warm".  It shrunk and tightened up.  The button hole I carefully designed was too tight for any kind of button.  I wanted a secure fasten. 

I went with sew-on velcro.  I got some matching thread and an ornamental mother of pearl button.  I had a small package of velcro, a spool of thread, and the button. 

"I'm going to need some help with carryout here, can I get a couple of guys to help?"  Good grins. 

Then I went to Favorite Dollar.  I was cheap enough to get their sewing kit.  The needle threader worked well.  I have trouble threading needles now.  But I also have a very contented housecat lying on my foot.  He used to hide a lot when I was "ill". 

I got some sugarfree drops (fruit and coffee flavors), some ziplocks for the Bibles, and ready to go.  Then I went to Starbucks.  They are used to the sight of me with the handcart.  I had a good book, so I read that and sipped my drink. 

As I came out of the bathroom, ready to go, I saw the horrifying sight of the bus stop pulling up to the stop.  Oh, crap.  I'm going to miss it. 

I  moved as quickly as possible, while remaining safe and without putting undue stress on my cart (now bearing a case of Bibles, and milk crate full of assorted Heather items).  Imagine my joy as I saw the driver lock up the bus and walk over to the Starbucks! 

As I waited at the stop, a man walked up and asked if he could have "Another" Bible.  You betcha.  I had a good trip home. 

Ron is completely OUT, snoring away in bed.  Good.  I'm not inclined to wake him up, but I'll leave the handcart where he'll see it.  Well, feel it.  You get the idea. 

He will be thrilled to find the two new talking books that arrived in our mailbox. 

No comments: