Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I almost got mugged again today

A few months ago, I was discussing crime with another passenger.  She is a partial quadraplegic and must use a power wheelchair.  She can "sorta" use her hands. 

She told me about her mugging;  a young man walked up to her and asked if he could borrow a pen.  She looked in her purse and as she did, he grabbed the purse and ran off. 

I was sitting outside at work.  I saw a "fishy" looking guy walking down the road.  The road has no sidewalk.  He spotted me and made an immediate turn and headed in my direction.  I put up my phone and got out my pepper spray, holding it plainly in my right hand. 

I moved my hand as he got within about 30 feet, and he stopped.  He knew what I held. 

"'Scuse me, you got an INK pen?" 
"No"
He stood there for a second and I moved my hand again.  He left. 

Some bad trouble right down the road; housing projects with a NASTY reputation.  I wonder if he knew he was on Federal property, and the penalties.  I wonder if he knew the Postal Inspectors were right behind me, and the place is infested with cameras. 

No, he probably didn't.  What I found telling - he didn't leave right away when I told him no.  But he couldn't figure out any way to get closer without me Macing him.  And he KNEW what I held.  He stopped dead as soon as he saw it. 

"He probably got maced before" said my driver.  Yup. 

Common sense will take you a long way.  I don't LOAN anything out these days, and I don't let dangerous people get  close to me while I "look" for them. 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh my Gosh!

In your next video blog I'd love to see some kind of reenactment of the scene with the guy who asked for the pen. (From your perspective only, of course.) I have no idea how I would have handled myself in that situation!