Monday, October 25, 2010

Any other day of the year, I'm a child molesting pervert!

[BIG SIGH]  Wow.  Before I post I generally try to organize my thoughts.  As I walked over to my chair, I smashed my foot into the chair.  Ow. 

Today was INSANE.  I got up at 2.  I didn't sleep well, didn't sleep long enough, either.  As a result, I had a really nasty depression pity party going for quite a bit.  It's kind of a blur now, but the gist of it was: overwhelmed.  I just felt completely burdened. 

Ron was asking me for a lot of help and yelled at me at one point because I hadn't put mustard packets on the cart.  I yelled back at him.  I was really annoyed I did because the whole thing was triggered by a postal worker who wanted to play "shoe polisher". 

Occasionally, I encounter a "customer" who never buys anything, thinks I exist to be pushed around and kiss their butt.  They are very annoying.  Especially when they don't buy anything.  I provide good merchandise, good customer service. 

Anyway, this woman likes to come in and investigate the condiments area (we put out condiments for people to use on the stuff they buy, but usually ends up on sack lunches from home).  She will ask for the one item we don't have, DEMAND it "Because I am on my break and I NEED this to eat my food" and get very insistent.  She ALWAYS does this when I am stocking the food machine and cannot stop my work.  I would have to stop stocking, go in the stockroom, find the item, and then give it to her, and then she never uses it!  "Oh, it's too late now". 

After the first couple times I figured it out.  Sometimes I will tell her "As soon as I finish stocking" - and suddenly she doesn't need it anymore.  Ron says she is a racist.  I think so.  She only does this with me, never Ron. 

Today she came in before the sandwich delivery and just kind of loafed around, watching us, after looking at the condiments.  She waited until I came back with the sandwhiches, two big trays on a hand cart, and was labeling the tacos with my date gun.  Suddenly she HAD to have mustard (she had already eaten). 

I told her to ask Ron, he probably had it on the cart.  Ron did not know about the head games because I don't like to complain.  Anyway, he "looked" on his cart and didn't see any.  She was being very demanding, and Ron was heading into the stockroom. 

I KNEW he would trip over the just-delivered pallet and yelled at him to stop.  I walked up to her and said "If it's such a 911, I'll go get it."  [I did lose my temper}  I went into the stockroom and gave Ron the mustard.  I told him "We need to talk later". 

"Yes, we do" he replied.  I asked you to put this on my cart days ago and now this poor woman had to WAIT ON HER MUSTARD!  She's on her break!  [I probably rolled my eyes at this point]   I told him, again, later, we'd talk.  She was laughing.  She loved that she got me to lose my temper and make Ron get out of his wheelchair, get me running over to help him, etc.  I am seriously pissed about that - I played her game.  Now she's walking around sulking.  [rolleyes]  We're not even REQUIRED to put out condiments!  We do it as a FAVOR to the paying customers. 

So, later on Ron came over and yelled at me because I don't help him.  I yelled back that he didn't give me enough time and I was tired of having to do 40 hours worth of work in a 10 hour shift.  I asked him to keep the condiments on the cart.  He refused, and said I was not being a good employee. 

I turned up my music, loud, as his mouth formed unflattering things.  Later on, he calmed down and wanted to know why that particular thing had me so upset.  I explained I was angry that she was playing games, and used him to play a game.  She enjoys getting us upset and "making" us lose our tempers.  I asked him, again, to PLEASE keep the condimements in the small stockroom, easily accessible, so I can send her to HIM everytime she wants to play her "I'll just DIE if I don't get a ketchup packet that I won't use!" game.  When I have sent her to him in the past, it isn't any fun, and if she realizes she can't play the "Make Heather drop everything to 'serve' me" game she won't.   She is a very unhappy, sullen, person, and wants to spread her poison. 

I was so happy to tell her later "Oh, Ron and I fixed that little problem with the condiments.  They are all where he can find them now, so whenever you need something, you just ask RON and he'll get it."  She did NOT like that. 

I dealt with THAT. 

I got to work at 4:30, with Ron of course.  The driver was pretty unsafe.  I was amazed we made it to work, alive.  I got out, almost kissed the pavement. 

We did our usual thing.  I got the old pallet ready for Dr Pepper; got out the checks, set up the hand carts.  I made sure the vending machines were happy and assisted Ron. 

5 AM.  The other vendors usually come in at 5, but they didn't get there 'till 5:20 - SHE CAN DRIVE!  She has a car!  I found that so, so, funny, that the people dependent on public transit got there an HOUR earlier!   [snort]  Then she tells Dr Pepper "You're early!" 

You're late!  [snicker]  SIGH.  Anyway, I checked in my order, it was perfect.  The delivery guy also has a titanium wedding band.  We admired each other's jewelry as I wrote the check.  Off he went. 

I had the glamorous job of unloading 1,520 pounds of soda, not counting the stock I rotated.  I moved the old stuff, stocked the new, and put the old on top.  You have probablty had a flat soda.  Isn't it horrible?  I don't want my customers to endure that!  Only the best!   I really take my job seriously. 

[sigh]  Then we had the whole mustard episode. 

As I was stocking sodas, I heard Ron talking loudly, like he does when he's excited.  I went to investigate.  He was talking to the Jehovah's Witness guy, I'll call him Larry.  Anyway, Larry and Ron debate pretty often. 

Ron was telling Larry how I plan to hand out New Testaments and Scripture booklets, in bags of candy, on Halloween.  He kept insisting I couldn't.  Why not?  Because if you hand out candy, you are worshipping the Devil.  Even if I am handing out a Bible?  Even then. 

I went away before I started laughing.  I saw him again after I finished stocking the soda machine; "Remember what I said". 

Larry, I told him, I'm going to hand out my stuff.  "Oh, do it another day". 

Larry, if I give out candy to other people's children on ANY other day of the year, I will be viewed as a child-molesting pervert and will probably get my butt kicked!  I'm doing it on Halloween! 

He was still sputtering as I walked off.  Ron and I just had to shake our heads over that one.  He's certainly fervent. 

The sad thing, I really want the boring kind of life, the kind I can sum up in 3 sentences.  I didn't get that package. 

So, the repairman and Ron's boss are both due around the same time.  No repairman; and Ron's boss ...

Sorry, I was just talking to Ron.  I thanked him again for helping with the "problem" and suggested her give her his "Mark of the Beast" speech.  [evil cackle]  We both love the idea. 

So, our ride came at 9:40, and so did Ron's boss.  AGH.  "You have to sign this."  I literally dragged him out of there as the driver was getting ready to leave us. 

We went to Walmart.  I had taken a bowl of change to work; and cashed it in.  It came to $32.95.  I called it $32, and added a dollar of my own, and deposited it.   I have 3 favorite "guys" - World Missionary Press, Grace and Truth, and Gospel for Asia.  Everyone gets $11 and I don't miss the "money".   That's two blankets and two New Testaments (GFA), 2,200 tracts (G & T), and 275 Scripture booklets (WMP).   Awesome. 

Ron wanted "Bungee ropes" - known to the rest of us as bungee cords.  Walmart actually had quite a selection. 

Ron thinks he is making "funny" insulting comments about my choice of music.  Am I laughing, Ron?  No. 

Ron got his bungee cords, and I got one for my handcart.  I didn't get much, actually.  Considering how miserable and overwhelmed I had felt, I did want to "treat" myself.  I needed some more laundry detergent, so I chose to buy the generic brand lavender, some color-safe "bleach", and some fabric softener.  It all cost me probably $10, but money well spent I thought.  Doing laundry will be a lot more pleasant.  That last detergent smelled like rotten fruit.  YUCK. 

I got a 2 liter bottle of the Diet Coke with Lime - I adore the stuff.  I also got myself a 6-pack of Diet Dr Pepper half-liter bottles for tomorrow's Day Out.  Sugarfree lemonade for blogging, etc.  I only spent about $20 total. 

Our pickup driver was late, and went into Walmart.  I told Ron "She is shopping" and the supervisor - coming out of the Walmart in street clothes - got very defensive and said "She is using the restroom". 

How, then, did she walk out with shopping bag?  [snort]  It was STUFFED.  Terrible driver, I actually wondered if I'd be going to the hospital.  I don't think she will last very long. 

Ron had left something at work, something "Important", so after we came home he left again.  I took a nap. 

When I woke up, the new people (a few houses down) were engaged in a loud altercation/shoving match in their front yard.  Real classy.  I called the non-emergent police number.  The dispatcher kept wanting me to go outside and LOOK.  Oh, yeah, let's just label me with a big NARC or SQUEALER. 

No thanks.  I don't do ignorant dramas.  I did inform the dispatcher "Small children live in that household, they don't need to see this." 

The police came out, and shut them up.  Someone drove off.  Then someone drove up.  Ron was home. 

2 comments:

Helen said...

Heather, I think that you were right with your debate about handing out candy over the halloween weekend.

What your JW friend doesn't seem to 'get' is that your plan is perfect for such an occasion. Firstly, it isn't a festival that we Christians tend to 'do'. It is a pagan deal - so what better time and occasion to spread the word by handing out candy along with the word of God? It might just make the people think about what they are doing? And show that God's love is greater than observing a festival that is un Godly. The candy aspect of your bags does not mean that you agree with Halloween - it just means that you are combining the candy giving with getting the word out on the most un Godly time of the year.

I think that you are AWESOME and much smarter that your JW friend gives you credit for! xx

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I agree.

One of my Facebook friends, actually a pastor, is ranting about Halloween. I think a lot of people get so hung up on the "pagan" that they miss a fantastic opportunity to witness!

I seem to be in the minority. If that's the case, I'm glad God created me.