Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A good one

Overall, I had a good day.  Yes, the publishers of "My" paperback Bibles TRIPLED the price of the Bibles.  Owwww.  Yes, I had some idling, ignorant heckler at the bus stop... and Ron was an hour late meeting me... but it was still a good day. 

I got up, took my shower, dressed in workout shorts and my "In God I Trust" t-shirt, did my God Time, and headed out the door.  I had a problem with my account; if everything posted I would have a four cent balance, not counting the $6 monthly service fee!  AGH! 

I figured (as it turns out, quite accurately) that God wanted me at the bank, giving them an eternal deposit, and some candy.  I bagged up lots of stuff, a half-dozen New Testaments (happily still 50 cents), and a dozen bags of candy.  Since I'd be near two grocery stores, I elected to only bring a few bottles of soda. 

I fell on my wrist, oh, 5 years ago.  I should have seen a doctor, I didn't.  If I press downward on a hard surface, like getting up off the ground, my wrist will ache a bit the next day.  I was a little stiff. 

I didn't bring my handcart; the wrist, and the fact that Ron would be meeting me later, with another handcart.  I brought my canvas tote bag (bought from a Christian hobby shop), and my mesh backpack, which has performed far better than expected. 

I caught the bus and went to the bank.  The driver, and the tellers all got candy and loved it.  God really has me in a "fun" job.  I caught the next bus and went to Foodtown.  I bought myself a couple of 6 packs of soda; my beloved Diet Dr Pepper (drank most of them), and some caffeine free Diet Coke (it was on sale, and not a bad drink).  I was a bit queasy (I haven't really had that problem recently), so I bought a couple of cheese sticks and a 2 ounce bag of smoked almonds.  Oh, we're talking tasty. 

I went to the bus stop and waited.  I think, in the Bible, Paul called them "Idlers".  My Dad used to call them "Bums".  You get the idea.  Lazy, ignorant people who want handouts. 

He was shouting at cars to give him money, which quickly put paid to the question "God, do you want me to give him some candy."  He kept trying to get my attention and I kept acting as if he were invisible.  At one point he stood in front of me and tried to talk to me.  "I'm not interested" I said, and turned up my music. 

I have seen the game enough; he starts by asking about me, trying to determine my life.  Am I single?  Eager to please?  Lonely?  Freaky?  What can he get?  Can he borrow my cell phone?  [scoff] 

Normally, if I'm "nice" it would start with a bunch of questions about my personal life (he kept wanting to know where I was headed, was I going home?).  Say, I told him "I'm going to Starbucks."  Oh, so am I.  Then when we got there he would try to get money.... or attention. 

I read an excellent book about personal safety "The Face of Fear" - it spoke of how women have been trained to be "nice".  Answering his questions would have been "nice".  However, I knew it was a ploy to get something I had no interest in sharing.  In that case, it is perfectly acceptable to be "rude".  In my case, saying "I'm not interested in talking (to you)." 

Now, the average jerk will probably get very outraged.  In my case, he realized I was not the weak blob of mush.  I find it very insulting when people assume I am weak and easily manipulated.  I have seen FAR scarier things! 

Like the book said, "Better to be seen as a bitch, than to be a victim."  Very, very true.  It is perfectly OK to tell a creep to LEAVE ME ALONE and mean it.  If he doesn't leave you alone, that's when you call the police. 

In my case, when I told him to back off, he did.  He realized he had underestimated me, and left me alone. 

The bus came; it was a training route.  Suddenly the man who didn't have any money, had money to pay the fare.  Ha! 

I got off and went to the Christian bookstore; Ron wanted to know if the soda machine was "hungry".  I told him, it could use Coke and Dr Pepper.  He loaded up the cart and eventually met me. 

I left the bookstore, promising to come back, and walked past the used bookstore.  Normally I don't shop; they have a large selection of Occult, etc... that gives me the screams.  I always have a tremendous urge to bathe if I even look at that section. 

Anyway, I felt like God was telling me to go in, so I did.  I found lots of fun inspirational romances.  They sell them shrink-wrapped, 8 for $4.  I got 3 "bricks".  I don't mind getting caught reading one of them. 

I went by Favorite Dollar.  I needed Q-tips, and Excedrin.  They had both.  Yay.  More candy distributed and off I go. 

I went to Starbucks, where I was comped a drink!  Wow!  That was awesome. 

I lugged all my stuff back to the Christian bookstore and read a historical romance, sitting at a table and drinking my steamer.  I had a while to wait, and picked up a couple more Bible Promise books.  I like having those; if someone has a tragedy, I can make up a quick care package with some wonderful comfort now.  I loved sending the promise books and Bibles to the widows last week.  I took a lithium with my snack because I figured it was probably the most calorie-dense thing I'd consume all day. 

So, Ron arrived.  I had a bag of candy in my hand.  The driver said he had been giving Ron a hard time about "My Candy - where's my candy?"   [laugh]  In my hand.  I got Ron and the soda back to the breakroom and we fil't 'er up! 

We talked about our trips for tomorrow and headed back front.  Ron's arrival was late, and the pickup was early.  That's paratransit for you.  We came home, I took a short nap,

I took out the trash, and came here!  I hope you're having a good one! 

1 comment:

AuntieP said...

Thanks for sharing yourself and your Savior with us and with everyone you meet. I'm really proud of you. Been missing you lately, but am so encouraged to read what you've been up to. You are a faithful witness!